Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

CHEAP but EFFECTIVE welder

Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHEAP but EFFECTIVE welder

I want to start welding my own stuff. Nothing to the extreme, yet. But I would like to be able to weld tubes to my sport bars in order to make it more of a cage. Perhaps try my hands at welding a basket too.

What's a cheap but effective welder for the job?

So far I've been looking on craigslist:
h ttp://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/tls?query=welder&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

I wouldn't mind buying new though. Figure the maximum I am willing to spend is $400, BUT I would like to spend no more than $250 so that way I have some spending money for other things -- like food.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by Absolute; 09-29-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: please no clickable inks to non sponsers or third party sellers
Old 09-29-2010, 11:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200434276_200434276?cm_ven=Aggregates&cm_c at=Google&cm_pla=Welding%3EArc%20Welders&cm_ite=16 7743?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=167743

Lincoln Electric AC-225 Arc Welder, Model# K1170 total $348.25 from northerntool

This was my first welder 20yrs ago and it was a classic then. For the money and dependability you can't go wrong. BUT it takes skill to weld stick.

A MIG (wire welder) is faster easier and of course more money.

To make it doable weld only horizontal and flat with least amount of gap between metal joints. Practice your speed and puddle control. Buy 6011 and 7018 rods, 3/32 to begin with. Do not weld on your jeep first, practice practice practice then make some bolt-on projects like an hitch basket you mentioned.

6011 splatter like hell but penetrate oils, rust, paint, whatever & one ugly weld even when done right.

7018 have to be clean they do not like anything but nice clean new metal. Very hard to get started but really pretty welds when done right.

Last edited by toymaster; 09-29-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

my recommendation would be a Hobart 135 or 140 Mig Handler. Very easy to use, it will grow as you do..meaning it can weld metal, aluminum, and stainless steel...personally if you are just learning I would not get an stick welder...
Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 AM
JK Freak

if you are adding to your cage for the sake of making it actually capable of handling a rollover then your gonna need a high powered welder (240v)
and the only ones with that kind of power for that kind of money are stick welders.

but if you are just putting things together for looks than any 110 mig will do just fine, and hell they will fit in your budget even brand new
Old 09-30-2010, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default CHEAP but EFFECTIVE welder

I often see guys talking about how the 110V Mig welders (like the Hobart 140 that I have) won't weld most things you might fab for offroading. It's rated to 1/4" and I can testify it does that very well. I'll have pics of my Sliders I'm building up soon. You don't have to go 220V and his question was about the budget.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rutdigger
..meaning it can weld metal, aluminum [a metal], and stainless steel [also a metal]...
Metals "with names" are metals, too. Pleas folks, lets work to stop this metal discrimination!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rtwill78
I often see guys talking about how the 110V Mig welders (like the Hobart 140 that I have) won't weld most things you might fab for offroading. It's rated to 1/4" and I can testify it does that very well. I'll have pics of my Sliders I'm building up soon. You don't have to go 220V and his question was about the budget.
x2 on that statement!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by warlord
if you are adding to your cage for the sake of making it actually capable of handling a rollover then your gonna need a high powered welder (240v)
and the only ones with that kind of power for that kind of money are stick welders.

but if you are just putting things together for looks than any 110 mig will do just fine, and hell they will fit in your budget even brand new
Warlord-I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that statement. The hobarts are rated very well and they will do everybit of anything needed welded in a JK and have no problems what so ever in welding roll cages. I routinly used a Hobart 110V to do repair work on industrial applications on some very thick stuff and never had a weld break.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rutdigger
Warlord-I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that statement. The hobarts are rated very well and they will do everybit of anything needed welded in a JK and have no problems what so ever in welding roll cages. I routinly used a Hobart 110V to do repair work on industrial applications on some very thick stuff and never had a weld break.
i know!
im no pro welder
but ive played with a few 110 and 220. and the 220 just seemed to get it done better.
but your right, ive also welded things with my 110 and they have not yet broken, but for some things i just cant bring myself to trust it.

and to me a roll cage is one of those things that i dont want to trust a 110 weld to when you actually flip it.

i would however be willing to make a bumper with a 110, im not going to, but id be willing
Old 10-02-2010, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

But when the question is cost... A 110V will get it done. If money didn't matter I'd go 220v and I'd have a huge powder coat oven, plasma cutter, computer controlled laser cutting machine, a hemi, etc... But it seems money is an issue for me lol.

Quick Reply: CHEAP but EFFECTIVE welder