Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Calling all the Hemi jks

Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Calling all the Hemi jks

how convenient is it to do basic maintenance like (Spark plugs/ oil change/clutch ) to your engine/trans putting in mind stuff like (room, reach, extra steps required...etc.) ?

I am considering a 5.7 with getrag 238 on my 2DR, but i am not sure about the reliability of the trans behind the Hemi though.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

While not as easy as the 3.8L Oil is easy enough to change. I have not done anything else to it so sorry can answer the rest. Spark plugs should be easy enough, maybe the back ones might be hard to get to, but I have not tried. Jeeps up on jacks while I work on it one hour at a time otherwise I go out and check for you.

I can remember my first reaction to the 3.8 was wow, and engine you can actually get your hands around. The Hemi is not so roomy.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Q8JEEP
how convenient is it to do basic maintenance like (Spark plugs/ oil change/clutch ) to your engine/trans putting in mind stuff like (room, reach, extra steps required...etc.) ?

I am considering a 5.7 with getrag 238 on my 2DR, but i am not sure about the reliability of the trans behind the Hemi though.

Plugs are right on top so quite easy to change...oil was no different really.
I have an auto but looks like removing the trans would be quite tough. During the swap I thought of installing the trans first then joining the engine to it...no way.
The belt looks like it would be a challenge too...looking at it I would think you'd have to remove the rad.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

everything maintenance wise is still well reachable....however...if anything front side goes like alternator steering pump etc etc...it may involve removing the radiator and grill...but oh well I'll cross that road when I get there...
Old 04-13-2009, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
everything maintenance wise is still well reachable....however...if anything front side goes like alternator steering pump etc etc...it may involve removing the radiator and grill...but oh well I'll cross that road when I get there...
oh forget it I'm never gettin a hemi then
Old 04-13-2009, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

haven't spent a lot of time under the hood of mine yet. but from what I can see the basic maintenance doesn't too bad. Most of the stuff is in easy to reach locations.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

im also planning to put a hemi in my jeep eventually, but i have dana 30 infront and 44 in the rear, can they handle a 5.7?

Quick Reply: Calling all the Hemi jks