Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Cage Reinforcement

Old 04-25-2010, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by You Jeep
I am kinda liking the River Raider weld in cage, decent price too..
Poison Spyder Customs is working on a full replacement cage.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

So the next modification I am looking to make is a cage, I personally feel to make the expense worth the effort, and the investment a full replacement is the way to go.

I’ve scrutinized all the offerings currently available and don’t feel that they are sufficiently addressing the weak links of the JK cage. Fabrication shops in my area are off their lids, talking $2,000.00, for install and fab of a custom cage.

Has anyone made any progress with this?

I am have some ideas, but would love to collaborate with smart individuals as perplexed by this problem as I am.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepNIMZEL
I’ve scrutinized all the offerings currently available and don’t feel that they are sufficiently addressing the weak links of the JK cage. Fabrication shops in my area are off their lids, talking $2,000.00, for install and fab of a custom cage.
I've been asking around as well. DOM 4140 tubing isn't cheap, nor is the time of an experienced welder who can TIG it. The welding shops I've talked to don't want the liability of building a roll cage either. So your stuck with automotive specific shops who are going to charge more because they can.

Just for kicks, do a metal supply search for 4140 DOM tubing and see what the material alone would cost you. There's a reason that the shops are asking $2,000.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sarbatche
I've been asking around as well. DOM 4140 tubing isn't cheap, nor is the time of an experienced welder who can TIG it. The welding shops I've talked to don't want the liability of building a roll cage either. So your stuck with automotive specific shops who are going to charge more because they can.

Just for kicks, do a metal supply search for 4140 DOM tubing and see what the material alone would cost you. There's a reason that the shops are asking $2,000.

DOM isn't gold... its steel. I've found metal yards in town (Dallas) that have DOM and are reasonable. Infact i see a 2x and 3x premium on material alone. Do the leg work and it isn't the DOM thats expensive, its the mark-up on the material plus the fab, and one shop even wanted me to pay for their wasted sticks... thats a joke.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepNIMZEL
DOM isn't gold... its steel. I've found metal yards in town (Dallas) that have DOM and are reasonable. Infact i see a 2x and 3x premium on material alone. Do the leg work and it isn't the DOM thats expensive, its the mark-up on the material plus the fab, and one shop even wanted me to pay for their wasted sticks... thats a joke.
I stand corrected. OnlineMetals offered me a much more reasonable price on 4130 DOM tubing than the last search I performed. Why the hell would you pay for wasted filler? Time to find another shop - Or find a welder who will do the work on the side and supply the material yourself. I bet you can find a old welder who's just sitting around his garage with nothing but time and tools.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

i dont know much about welding and all that stuff but i will say this if you go to undeertake this project by yourself make sure you get the welds strong and ask someone who knows a lot about this subject that being said i cant wait to see what you come up with.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

I've got a, "work night" planned for next week to make measurments for the main hoop and the verticle supports next week.

I am going to do the cage in stages. Back half will be like a CJ style cage.

Quick Reply: Cage Reinforcement