Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Cage Reinforcement

Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cage Reinforcement

I know I've got like ten projects going on at once but I wanted your opinion on this as this will happen in the next week. Looking at 2 options: Cut out sport cage and weld in new cage OR Reinforce from the floor up to the windshield and weld in some triangulations in back.

The biggest PITA I see with the full cage is incorporating the soundbar/freedom top thing into the cage. I'd like to still use the freedom panels and hardtop. Or I could cut out around the sport bar and build the rest of the cage around it.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Super Freak

interested as well.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

I would leave the cage and just reinforce it but try to tie into the frame. It seems like cutting out the existing cage will be lots more work and complicate your life as far as seatbelts/tops/speakers go.

Even once you make that decision though, there are still plenty of design decisions regarding the new cage as part of the reinforced cage.

I've got several ideas that may work... I'm sure I'll see you around.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NGINIER
I would leave the cage and just reinforce it but try to tie into the frame. It seems like cutting out the existing cage will be lots more work and complicate your life as far as seatbelts/tops/speakers go.

Even once you make that decision though, there are still plenty of design decisions regarding the new cage as part of the reinforced cage.

I've got several ideas that may work... I'm sure I'll see you around.
Saw your jeep at mikes the other day..but neither you or him were there so the shop kid showed me his zuk cage. I'd like to see what you got in mind. I'm currently thinking of leaving the center pillar with the seabelts/soundbar all intact and cut out the rest...which really isint that much on a 2-door. I'm thinking something like this that pops out in back to cover the rear seats. Then just do what they do on tj's for the whindshield using plates down the side of the dash. But reinforcing whats there would work too....idk. Either way the windshields gonna have to be done cuz i refuse to pay 600 bucks for a bolt on kit from rock hard.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

Bump, any one renforce there cage yet? Im not too into the cages they make for the Jk yet so id like to fabrticate my own. Has any one done this using the stock cage? Just add on some steel tuibing to the back and maybe one down the side at an angle that matches the rear windows? Any one been succesful welding anything to there stock cage?
Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Rock Hard and OR-fab have cages that attach and support the existing sport bars.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
Rock Hard and OR-fab have cages that attach and support the existing sport bars.
yeah ive seen them. I like the windsheild part of it, but im not in love with the rear. I like some parts of each of them, but im not really in love with 1 whole cage. Im picky and figured it may be cheaper to weld in my own bars as well as would be exactly how i want it. Just seeing if any one has done this
Old 04-12-2010, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

are the 2 you cant see the ones that go across the middle? just 2 bars
Old 04-13-2010, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

What kind of tubing did you use? DOM? About what gauge and did you find the tubing you added was thicker then the stock roll bars? - What you did is really nice.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am kinda liking the River Raider weld in cage, decent price too..

Quick Reply: Cage Reinforcement