Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Cage plans

Old 10-02-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

orfab also makes a full bolt in sport cage kit going to research more now, but they have a video on youtube about it
Old 10-03-2011, 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody seen a rollover on the bolt-on type cage? Pics would sell me, otherwise I'll wait until I can tie into the frame.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rock Hands
Anybody seen a rollover on the bolt-on type cage? Pics would sell me, otherwise I'll wait until I can tie into the frame.
Yes, let's see those roll over pics showing bolt on cages collapsing into occupant area.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over the years I've bought products from the manufacturers of bolt-in JK cages, Poison Spyder, Rockhard and Or-Fab. IMO these are damn good manufacturers who build tough products and I'm led to believe they extensively stress-test them before releasing to the wary and critical public.

The reason we're on this thread is because we deem the stock roll protection less than adequate for wheeling and want additional roll protection.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by westchester
The reason we're on this thread is because we deem the stock roll protection less than adequate for wheeling and want additional roll protection.
Saw pictures of a JK a year or so ago that rolled off the side of a steep hill. Did 3 rolls before stopping . Bent the sheet metal and tweaked the tub real good and the sport cage was bent in a little but fully protected the driver and passenger who escaped unhurt.

The stock cage was adequate in this instance in that it protected the occupants.

Do we need more? Are there more severe crashes that are likely in our usage? What other crashes has anyone else seen that would give us some insight.

This being said I want to reinforce mine with better triangulation while minimizing it intruding into my space.

Mike
Old 10-07-2011, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

For what its worth, while i do not have a sport cage in my JK yet, i did have an Allpro bolt in cage in my old toyota. I rolled that thing multiple times with no problems. If i were concerned about rolling off the side of a mountain 500 feet into a ravine, then okay, i might have gotten some crazy full custom roll cage, although the money might be better spent on an ejection seat. Realistically, for the type of wheeling I do, I've never flopped insanely hard. usually a slow roll when a tire lifts and the suspension unloaded. going going going uh uh uh noooooooooooo. This is what 99% of rollovers consist of. a sport cage will be fine for this.

wish i had pics of the flops, but they were all at night and we were.... slightly inebriated.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Deepwater
Saw pictures of a JK a year or so ago that rolled off the side of a steep hill. Did 3 rolls before stopping . Bent the sheet metal and tweaked the tub real good and the sport cage was bent in a little but fully protected the driver and passenger who escaped unhurt.

The stock cage was adequate in this instance in that it protected the occupants.

Do we need more? Are there more severe crashes that are likely in our usage? What other crashes has anyone else seen that would give us some insight.

This being said I want to reinforce mine with better triangulation while minimizing it intruding into my space.

Mike
saw a guy flip over backwards and then do two rolls down the rocky hill, only stopped because the front end landed against a tree
Old 10-08-2011, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

A buddy of mine had a RockHard cage in his TJ and it held together just fine. He was driving down the road at about 40mph when a drunk driver pulled out in front of him and T-boned him. She hit his front drivers side tire causing it to flip on it's roof and it slid about 50' on the top of the cage. I can say that after seeing that I would feel safe using a "bolt together cage."
Old 10-12-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its not that hard to go through the dash in a jk. You will loose the outside vents though.

I should be able to post some pics in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Cage plans