Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

C gussets

Old 04-29-2009, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C gussets

Ok mabe this should go int he modified section. IDK

I have a stick welder and am capable of welding these C gussets on myself.

the question i have is what voltage should i run and i was thinking 6013 for the electrode

i just want to get this right so i can make a clean, good looking weld and have it function to. just do it right the first time
Old 04-30-2009, 01:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenmachine07
the question i have is what voltage should i run and i was thinking 6013 for the electrode

1) It's likely going to get moved there as soon as a mod sees it.

2) If it's a stick welder you set the current (amps) not voltage. But no biggie, "amps required" depends on electrode type and diameter. For example I run 1/8" 6010 at 76-80 amps for roots, 86 for fills. I run 1/8" 7018 at 130 amps....

3) Can't say I've used a lot of 6013, I believe that's a rutile flux (has extra iron powder in it) so it'll lay a heavier deposit. Sure someone else can chime in.

4) Penetration isn't overly important for the gussets, the strength comes from the overall structure, not massive welds. Plus, you don't want to damage other components. So you're not gonna want to really burn it in. I'd run it just hot enough to make sure there's no porosity.

5) MIG would be a more ideal process, but a small enough electrode should do fine. Dumpster dive at a fab shop if need be and nab some scrap. Rip a couple practice beads before you get started.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO you should use 7018 rod. It has a higher tinsel strength.

As for the amps. You should always do test welds.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sn4cktime
1) It's likely going to get moved there as soon as a mod sees it.

2) If it's a stick welder you set the current (amps) not voltage. But no biggie, "amps required" depends on electrode type and diameter. For example I run 1/8" 6010 at 76-80 amps for roots, 86 for fills. I run 1/8" 7018 at 130 amps....

3) Can't say I've used a lot of 6013, I believe that's a rutile flux (has extra iron powder in it) so it'll lay a heavier deposit. Sure someone else can chime in.

4) Penetration isn't overly important for the gussets, the strength comes from the overall structure, not massive welds. Plus, you don't want to damage other components. So you're not gonna want to really burn it in. I'd run it just hot enough to make sure there's no porosity.

5) MIG would be a more ideal process, but a small enough electrode should do fine. Dumpster dive at a fab shop if need be and nab some scrap. Rip a couple practice beads before you get started.

i know MIG would be ideal, but with my current budget i cannot afford to pay someone to do it wrong. rather do it myself and rough it than anything else.

thanks for the reply. ill likly run both electrodes and do acouple test of both before i do the real deal.

Thanks again
Old 04-30-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a stick welder and am capable of welding these C gussets on myself.

i just want to get this right so i can make a clean, good looking weld and have it function to. just do it right the first time
I did mine with MIG but stick will work too. The most important thing is to take enough time to do it. Make short runs then move to the other side and then stop and cool things down with wet rags. It should take an hour or two to do if you're going slow enough.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rob4607
I would start off cool since you will be using stick rods, if you run too hot you may blow a hole through and they suck to fix if you do not have enough welding experience. 6010 or 6013 if you prefer but 7018 will be more than enough strength, will not stick as bad and you will not have nearly as much splatter and bb's all over the place. make sure you stitch weld it, an inch here an inch there or less, but like the others have said you want to keep it from getting the parent metal too hot and warping or bending, also grind the surfaces first and the welding will go much smoother, make sure you have a chipping hammer and wire brush and post pics when you are done!
when i was making my front bumper i put atleast 2 holes in it that was about the time my dad showed me how to fix it.

i have all the tool just not enough money to get a new welder

good advice
Old 05-01-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Junkie

when i was making my front bumper i put atleast 2 holes in it that was about the time my dad showed me how to fix it.

i have all the tool just not enough money to get a new welder

good advice
You are local so run out to any Roberts Oxygen and pick up a 1# bag of UTP 612 5/64 rod. You can run this at 40-60 amps and still get great penetration. The tensile strength is 70,000, this stuff is super easy to work with. It ain't cheap, it runs $14.85 per # but worth every penney.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BaltChief
You are local so run out to any Roberts Oxygen and pick up a 1# bag of UTP 612 5/64 rod. You can run this at 40-60 amps and still get great penetration. The tensile strength is 70,000, this stuff is super easy to work with. It ain't cheap, it runs $14.85 per # but worth every penney.
thanks ill have to write that down

Quick Reply: C gussets