Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

building a rear bumper/tire carrier and need help.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a destaco 344 on my stubby tire carrier. It is a vertical toggle clamp, extremely strong (2000 lbs rating ), it locks when closed under pressure, and is fully adjustable. Can be mounted up, down, sideways, etc

Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 AM
JK Junkie

X1 on the 344 Victor you did a great job on that carrier hows it holding up im starting on mine this wknd can't wait
Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its holding up really well. Much better than I expected. No rattles or noise whatsoever. I've had it for a year now.

The trick:

1) Make sure the tire carrier clamps down tight to the bumper with pressure. This will create rigidity so that both parts will become like one and not move against each other. The toggle clamp is ideal for doing this.

2) Make sure the tire carrier rests against the rubber isolators on the back door.

The toggle clamp has never come loose, despite driving on washboard or while crawling.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Junkie

Good to hear and thanks for the advice I was worried about the rattling thats the main reason why im building one, I also like the height you have it at does it totally block your rear view
Old 02-07-2009, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=VictorS;929468]I used a destaco 344 on my stubby tire carrier. It is a vertical toggle clamp, extremely strong (2000 lbs rating ), it locks when closed under pressure, and is fully adjustable. Can be mounted up, down, sideways, etc

This is the same latch I was looking to use. If you are getting along good with it, thats what I'm going with too. Thanks
Old 02-07-2009, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YOGURT
When I built my Bumper tire carrier I used one like the LOD, I cant remember where I got it but it was online. Trust me it will not open up. The latch handle goes past the center of the hook so there is always force on the handle to keep it closed. I have been wheeling thinking the whole damn carrier was gonna break off and it never opened on me. It's a great latch you just have to make sure you set it up right.

what wheels are those?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default ems offroad

Originally Posted by NITRORC pilot
I'm in the process of building a rear bumper with tire carrier. I have everything sorted out except the tire carrier latch. I don't know what to use for sure. I'm worried about two things, it rattling and coming open going down the road. I have found a couple latches like the one the LOD carrier has but I can't find one that locks. I really like this latch setup, but am worried it can pop open going down the road. I thought about using a setup like Warn uses, but am worried about it rattling. Then I thought about doing both latch systems together, but feel I'm complicating things now. I also don't want to use a bolt system that I have to thread off every time I want to get in the back. Can somebody give me some insite on a latch like the LOD. Mabye it doesn't need to be lockable, I don't know. Or post pics of the latches that are on your carrier. Mabye there's a better way I haven't thought of yet.
Thanks
ems offroad has the parts you need for the tire carrier.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:17 AM
RSI
JK Newbie

Default tire carrier latch

[IMG][/IMG]I built my tire carrier for a 35" using Harley neck cups with timkin bearings on the pivot end and a simple utility trailer 1 7/8" coupler for the latch.The tension on the ball is adjustable so no rattle, and it can be locked. It has performed well for over 9 mo., including 6 days of hard jeep trails around Silverton and Ouray,Co.
photos didn't load here, but are in the my project section.

Last edited by RSI; 02-22-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NITRORC pilot
I'm in the process of building a rear bumper with tire carrier. I have everything sorted out except the tire carrier latch. I don't know what to use for sure. I'm worried about two things, it rattling and coming open going down the road. I have found a couple latches like the one the LOD carrier has but I can't find one that locks. I really like this latch setup, but am worried it can pop open going down the road. I thought about using a setup like Warn uses, but am worried about it rattling. Then I thought about doing both latch systems together, but feel I'm complicating things now. I also don't want to use a bolt system that I have to thread off every time I want to get in the back. Can somebody give me some insite on a latch like the LOD. Mabye it doesn't need to be lockable, I don't know. Or post pics of the latches that are on your carrier. Mabye there's a better way I haven't thought of yet.
Thanks
I used the one from A to Z fab. Worked great. Sorry no pictures.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

X2 on EMS Offroad, I got everything to build mine from them

Quick Reply: building a rear bumper/tire carrier and need help.