Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

building a rear bumper/tire carrier and need help.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a rear bumper/tire carrier and need help.

I'm in the process of building a rear bumper with tire carrier. I have everything sorted out except the tire carrier latch. I don't know what to use for sure. I'm worried about two things, it rattling and coming open going down the road. I have found a couple latches like the one the LOD carrier has but I can't find one that locks. I really like this latch setup, but am worried it can pop open going down the road. I thought about using a setup like Warn uses, but am worried about it rattling. Then I thought about doing both latch systems together, but feel I'm complicating things now. I also don't want to use a bolt system that I have to thread off every time I want to get in the back. Can somebody give me some insite on a latch like the LOD. Mabye it doesn't need to be lockable, I don't know. Or post pics of the latches that are on your carrier. Mabye there's a better way I haven't thought of yet.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

I'm considering the same build idea. Or doing one myself. I was thinking I'd set it up to latch behind the tire and use a hood latch like off an old 70s or so ford truck.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about a door latch and striker setup? The Rock Hard uses something similar and an old truck setup would probably be pretty strong. Put a hard rubber pad beside that and you could use that to adjust how tight it sits on the bumper to deal with the rattles, not to mention how tight it rides on the striker.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

I would like to see one with the same type latch used to attach the soft top. Obviously something stronger but it would be easy to get started and then draw it tight by flipping the lever. Maybe hold it in place with a pin or lock...

Last edited by JoeBlob; 01-28-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i added a latch to my rockhard carrier, I ordered a brand called destaco. they make all kinds of different styles
Old 01-29-2009, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by medbender
when i added a latch to my rockhard carrier, I ordered a brand called destaco. they make all kinds of different styles
What didn't you like about the rock hard latch? I was considering using a latch like this after seer1 gave me the idea. Destaco was another latch I was considering, but the one I wanted didn't lock.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Just another option; Mine is from Shrockworks and it is real solid with no rattles. It's a cam style latch that has a pre-drilled hole for a small lock or pin to add to it's security, etc. The nice thing is, when I dealt with Shrockworks they were very cool. I ordered my bumpers bare and in pieces, so I could modify them. They also originally sold me the hinge assembly when I was considering making my own carrier. My bet is that if you called them, they would sell you a latch set-up.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mcmaster.com has tons of different kinds of latches. Should be able to find something there.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 AM
JK Newbie

What about this one?
atozfabrication.com/store/product.php?productid=16172&cat=274&page=1

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 02-04-2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: removed non sponsor link
Old 02-04-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NITRORC pilot
What didn't you like about the rock hard latch? I was considering using a latch like this after seer1 gave me the idea. Destaco was another latch I was considering, but the one I wanted didn't lock.
I live on a wash board road which makes a perfect test ground for off road abuse. the tire rack slid up and down the post creating not just a rattle but a bang. there was enough abuse to break the welds on the tire carrier. rockhard replaced it right away but the rep said he'd never heard of such a break.

Quick Reply: building a rear bumper/tire carrier and need help.