Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Building My Own Hard Top 8/6/2010

Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude...when ya gonna start building this thing?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should just shell out the money and get the top...
Old 12-07-2010, 10:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sevn86
I think you should just shell out the money and get the top...
If you know of a way for a broke full time college student to make a spare couple grand that they dont need for tuition or other bills, let me know. 'til then this is in the plans.

As for when Im starting hahaha, I have winter break after this thursday so its a good possibility, just gotta grow the balls to cut my hard top
Old 12-08-2010, 04:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fiberglass experience comes from mostly car audio work. Another option is using fleece and resin and get a good, shapely mold. Then, lay chop mat on top and inside to reinforce. I think you are on the right track with cutting the wedge out of your stock freedom top and then slanting the back. Good luck
Old 12-08-2010, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harbourone
You can get a tool to make little folds almost in sheetmetal to make it stronger. I cant remember what they're called but we use them to strangthen custom floor pans.
"Bead Roller" Harbor Freight has these
Old 12-08-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

i have been thinking about this as well but making it out of metal i used to work for a welding / fab company and my father is a roofer working with metal roofing im thinking of making it in 3 pc then welding them all together my problem so far is the windows how to mount them etc in not factory frame
Old 12-08-2010, 02:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
My fiberglass experience comes from mostly car audio work. Another option is using fleece and resin and get a good, shapely mold. Then, lay chop mat on top and inside to reinforce. I think you are on the right track with cutting the wedge out of your stock freedom top and then slanting the back. Good luck
Im going to get a small amount of materials over break and play around with them, fiberglassing similar sized and thickness objects like the hardtop together and if I get good enough at it, im going for it
Old 12-08-2010, 02:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good luck man
Old 12-08-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
If you know of a way for a broke full time college student to make a spare couple grand that they dont need for tuition or other bills, let me know. 'til then this is in the plans.

As for when Im starting hahaha, I have winter break after this thursday so its a good possibility, just gotta grow the balls to cut my hard top
i sell life insurance on the side and my first 3 weeks there i made close to $4,500. ive put selling insurance on hold for this semester. so once im on winter break i will start again.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Im going to get a small amount of materials over break and play around with them, fiberglassing similar sized and thickness objects like the hardtop together and if I get good enough at it, im going for it
Check out the fleece method I mentioned. It stretches well and hardens smooth. What I woulddo is grind a nice ridge about 1/4-1/2" from the edge of the piece you are adding on to. Then stuff the edge of the fleece into the ridge so that you have a good bond and both pieces are flush. Hope that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Building My Own Hard Top 8/6/2010