Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Building My Own Hard Top 8/6/2010

Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would be afraid to even attempt this, good luck man
Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why not spend the time needed to build it at work and get the dollars to buy the real one? Much better than ending up wasting time and money on something like this.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by reddragon
Why not spend the time needed to build it at work and get the dollars to buy the real one? Much better than ending up wasting time and money on something like this.
Because Id be doing it for the sake of saying " I made that". Ive got over 200 hours into my rear bumper and tire carrier. I couldve worked those 200 hours and bought the LoD one but instead I had fun making my own design for less than 200. Yeah this would be a pain in the ass but if I did it and did it relatively cheap, everyone would love it

Id say my first big project was worth it

Last edited by So_Cal_Tay_12; 08-18-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Because Id be doing it for the sake of saying " I made that". Ive got over 200 hours into my rear bumper and tire carrier. I couldve worked those 200 hours and bought the LoD one but instead I had fun making my own design for less than 200. Yeah this would be a pain in the ass but if I did it and did it relatively cheap, everyone would love it
now that is one well fabricated jeep right there!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Think Carefully

Not for nothing, I ran a fiberglass shop for 20 years and it looks a whole lot easier than it is. In addittion the method you are talking about will result in a piece that is much heavier than you think. The current crop of tops are not fiberglaas but a thermoplastic that is much lighter.
That being said good luck if you decide to go that route and remember to post pictures!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default re-sale

for a top... i'd be patient and watch ebay, craigslist, etc... I've seen several 4 door HTs go for less than $1200 and you could spend the time and energy on other projects. But if you do it... post pics!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by barnettd
for a top... i'd be patient and watch ebay, craigslist, etc... I've seen several 4 door HTs go for less than $1200 and you could spend the time and energy on other projects. But if you do it... post pics!
Ive got a hard top, that is my black 2dr pictured above. It is the fastback one I am after
Old 08-18-2010, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

To give a better understanding as to where I am at so far, this is what ive come to.

This is a rough mock up of what I have in mind, so hopefully any advice can be directed towards this idea now.

Allow me to explain.

First, the red section will be cut out equally on both sides, leaving a triangular hole in the entire hard top. From there section 2 will be leaned towards section 3 and fiber-glassed together. The top of section 2 will have to be cut and modified to make the lines flush with the roof line again, this being done with fiberglass as well.

After that the angle between section 1 and 2 will be fiberglassed and smoothed over.

Now, as for the cut in the window to angle it, I am still working on a way to bond the two pieces, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes you can find damaged hardtops for cheap( accidents, etc.) That's the way I'd go , then you could take your time, learn from mistakes, redo. I say go for it. A year or so ago a member found a busted up top and made a half cab outta it.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Sometimes you can find damaged hardtops for cheap( accidents, etc.) That's the way I'd go , then you could take your time, learn from mistakes, redo. I say go for it. A year or so ago a member found a busted up top and made a half cab outta it.
So basically just call around to local salvage yards and whatnot?

Quick Reply: Building My Own Hard Top 8/6/2010