Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Building My Own Hard Top 8/6/2010

Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0259brian
i would find a damaged used top and cut it up and make it the way you want. their is a guy on a different jeep forum that cut up a 4 door top. cut the back half off so its like a truck. he might even have the the other half still
My thoughts exactly.

I don't want to sound naive, but I would think it would be way easier to modify an existing top than to build from scratch. With an existing top, most of the critical areas (sealing surfaces) would not have to be touched. If you already have a hard top, you might be able to find just the back part, without the freedom panels, for cheap.

I say go for it and keep us posted.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that is a big project. No way in hell I would try it. Sometimes those tops pop up used... you might could buy one for less than the materials of making one. good luck on it. Dont forget photos
Old 08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
wow that is a big project. No way in hell i would try it. Sometimes those tops pop up used... You might could buy one for less than the materials of making one. Good luck on it. Dont forget photos
holy shit! He's alive!!!!!!!!!:d
Old 08-11-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

When working with fiberglass at anytime to help prevent the hellacious itch that comes with sanding it before you work with it rub yourself with baby powder or talcum powder well and this gets in your pores so the fiberglass dust cant
Old 08-11-2010, 02:35 PM
JK Newbie

Go to one of those truck camper places and see if you can get yours modified or something. Most of those camper guys build there own stuff
Old 08-11-2010, 04:53 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mkjeep
holy shit! He's alive!!!!!!!!!:d
lol... sorry for my absence. The place just hasn't been the same since my boy (RenegadeLT1) passed earlier this year. Im gonna stop in a little more often now tho. How you been man? When we gonna hit a trail? as soon as it gets below 80* I am ready to ride!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
lol... sorry for my absence. The place just hasn't been the same since my boy (RenegadeLT1) passed earlier this year. Im gonna stop in a little more often now tho. How you been man? When we gonna hit a trail? as soon as it gets below 80* I am ready to ride!
So sorry man, I've been good. I'm ready too, we'll have to plan somethin.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Easily doable. I've done wheelhouses and consoles for boat. Use a product called Nida-Core which is very lightweight. When laminated with glass skins on both sides, it becomes very strong and flex resistant. It is also commonly used as the decking material in commercial fishing boats, and comes in various thickness. Ideally (but not required) you would do the laminate and vacume bag it to eliminate excess resin and weight for the set up. It is not hard to do, but is time consuming, requires a vacume pump and additional material expenses. If you want to find out more, google Nida-Core and look for materials online at West Systems who makes and sells the resins. A structure like a top could be built from nida-core panels bonded together and would not require a mold, though a jig to hold it all square would be the way I'd do it. To prevent fiberglass itch, "Barrier Creme" is way better than baby powder. It's also great if you're allergic to epoxies.

Last edited by Smopho; 08-13-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

So far from what Ive gathered it would be easiest and cheapest for me to find just the back portion of the top, make the appropriate cuts, and then fiberglass it all back together. This would make for perfect seals all the way around and would take the least amount of work. I would just have to cut out a section from the back portion to make the "slant" of the fastback.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Smile

Im a composite technician and own my own boat building business and to do it right would cost a mint. First you would have to design the part in CAD then have it CNC cut in foam, this woulkd then need to be sprayed with a high build compond and sanded and buffed to a automotive grad 1 finish. This is called the plug, of this you would need to build a mould using expensive tooling gel and VE resin/chopped strand mat and brace it to keep it stiff. Now your ready to make a part, you will have to seal and wax the mould, design a laminate schedule that meets the engineering requirements for stiffness, weight etc then laminate either by hand, vacuum infusion, wet prepreg and bag etc. When the part came out of the mould it would need to be detailed and maybe 2-pac sprayed and buffed then fitted out for any windows, doors latches lights etc. To do it professionaly it would cost 20 times more then to buy it retail of a vendor. There is a reason these parts are expensive there is huge tooling and setup costs to get it right. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Quick Reply: Building My Own Hard Top 8/6/2010