Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Building My Own Hard Top 8/6/2010

Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
Check out the fleece method I mentioned. It stretches well and hardens smooth. What I woulddo is grind a nice ridge about 1/4-1/2" from the edge of the piece you are adding on to. Then stuff the edge of the fleece into the ridge so that you have a good bond and both pieces are flush. Hope that makes sense.
Totally makes sense to me

----v----- -----v----

2 and 3 are the edges of the two pieces that will meet and touch, 1 and 4 are the small notches for it to be pulled tight and then stuffed into, yes?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

Im wanting to do this exact same thing. Even with the angled hard top like you want to do. I like the fleece idea as mentioned earlier but am not sure what would be a good method of constructing the frame. Would wood work as a material or would that be too heavy and not enough strength?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:51 AM
JK Newbie

The thought if cutting up hard my hardtop scares me lol I would probably mess up and it would crumble and fall on my head haha. Props for for having the berries for it though I'm sure it will be bad a$$
Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed...I really wanna see this happen!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:19 PM
sky
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cbass122
Is this going to happen or what? I have been waiting and waiting for pictures to pop up of the first cut...

Just sell your old hardtop and use the funds to buy a bestop trektop and be done with it or pull out your cohones and start cutting
AMEN!
Old 01-05-2011, 01:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I undertook a similar project some years ago to convert the canvas canopy on my aluminum fishing boat into a hard-topped half-cabin.

I used the existing lightweight aluminum tube frame that the canvas had been laid over and fashioned a roof and sides out of thin (3mm) MDF particle board, bolting it to the frame with U-brackets. I even achieved a curve in the top at the sides by steaming the top sheet with a boiling kettle. I filled all the gaps, recessed bolt-heads and rough bits with automotive body filler, shaped & sanded the whole lot back, laid down a thick layer of automotive spray-putty, sanded that & then sprayed 3 coats of acrylic auto finish (Ford Arctic white I believe, to match the white-painted hull) with a clear on top. For windows I just used sliding perspex ones in small, rectangular aluminum frames I picked up for free from a junkyard that were originally from an old caravan or motorhome I think.

The whole thing took me a weekend & a bit (waiting for the paint to dry between coats added time), about a hundred bucks or so in materials including paint (mind you, I had the alloy frame to start with) and it actually looked really good (nothing like the thing on the back of that blue flat-fender in the photo); people actually thought it was a manufactured fiberglass cabin until they took a closer look at the inside & could see it was just MDF on a frame.

The main difference to making a hardtop for a JK is that the rear of my cabin was open; with the Jeep hard-top you'd need to also include a swing-glass rear window like the factory one and also use flush-fitting smoked glass for the side windows. I'd also line it with those thin insulation panels to give it a little extra strength and resistance to flex and give it a nicer look inside (and maybe finish it with auto headliner material to hide the alloy frame), and I'd probably use aluminum flatbar instead of the tubing (easier to get a flush, uniform fit with the MDF & could then screw it directly to the flatbar frame instead of using U-brackets).

Last edited by JKlad; 01-05-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

so are you gunna do anything with this or are u gunna call it quit's?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's way to intense to mock up free hand... It's a bust!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Custom Hardtop

I started searching for different ideas on how to mock up this hard top as well. found this thread. did you actually finish this project. i just drew up some plans for this too. i was hoping to compare
Old 01-26-2011, 11:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread has been dead for a while... I'm assuming he gave up or is really really busy!

Quick Reply: Building My Own Hard Top 8/6/2010