Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Building My Own Hard Top 8/6/2010

Old 08-06-2010, 08:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building My Own Hard Top 8/6/2010

So I have loved the wild boar 2dr hardtop for some time now, but cant bring myself to spend the money on it. I was wondering how hard it would be to make my own similar one. This is what I am talking about for those who dont know.

I know people have used fiberglass to repair their hardtops, I wand to use the same concept to do the entire thing.

I was thinking of using 3/16 particle board, essentially pegboard without the holes for the mockup and then wraping it in fiberglass. It is flexible so it would form the small curves the hardtop has. I would then coat it, sand it and paint it. The wood would make an easy base and I would be able to figure out if it is doable before buying the expensive part, that being the fiberglass materials. Also the wood would save a lot of money as opposed to being solid fiberglass

I would make it to where it would still fit the freedom panels up front so the front part would already be from my pre-existing hardtop.

So what do you guys think? Is it doable? See any hold ups?

Last edited by So_Cal_Tay_12; 08-06-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's doable but I would not use the wood you are talking about. If you don't have any experience with fiberglass you need to do some small projects and do your homework. A good source of information is fiberglassforums. You can learn alot there. Once you have successfully done your small projects then you might be able to tackle this project. It's not going to be easy and will require ALOT of man hours to do for sure.

I would suggest finding someone in your local area that would not mind letting you use the actual piece to make the mold from, that way you would have an actual mirror image of what it is you are trying to recreate. This is where you need to know what you are doing so you don't still the mold to the model!

I applaud you for thinking of tackling this project, just make sure you do your homework and practice first.

Oh, like your bumper you built also. Just a suggestion though, next fabrication job you do try using the foam poster board for your template instead of wood. Much easier to work with and cheap if you buy it at the dollar store..lol.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Go for it!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm by no means an expert on fiberglass, but I would think the mass would be too much to hold against the elements. It could flex too much from wind and break apart at higher speeds. I guess the key would be reinforcing it like the folds and creases in the factory top that give it strength.

Love to see it though.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyT
I'm by no means an expert on fiberglass, but I would think the mass would be too much to hold against the elements. It could flex too much from wind and break apart at higher speeds. I guess the key would be reinforcing it like the folds and creases in the factory top that give it strength.

Love to see it though.
You would be suprised on how thick a few layers of good chop mat will get. That and the resin will build fast , but you are right, you will have to use some kind of supports across the top and down the sides. I have seen guys use rope or some wooden dowels then molded them into the project. You are also going to have a Bondo type filler in there as well for more strenght. If anything it will be much heavier than the real thing is he isn't careful. If done right, wind rain, snow, etc wouldn't effect it..

Last edited by rutdigger; 08-09-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

i would find a damaged used top and cut it up and make it the way you want. their is a guy on a different jeep forum that cut up a 4 door top. cut the back half off so its like a truck. he might even have the the other half still
Old 08-07-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

h ttp://en.wikivisual.com/index.php/Papier-m%C3%A2ch%C3%A9

Last edited by Absolute; 10-05-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Pleas, no direct links to non sponsor sites. Thank you
Old 08-08-2010, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Good to know guys, you have all brought up a lot of valid points that I overlooked. Also as far as the paper mache, I have dont projects with it before, I dont think it would hold very well
Old 08-10-2010, 08:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a really big project. Like everybody said you need a base to work off of. Whether it be an old beat up top, wood material, or even cardboard (to start with and transfer to stronger material). I would use some thin but sturdy wood, and braces with screws to start.

The sides and base would be where you begin, getting a template for how it's going to rest on the Jeep, and literally building up from there, making the sides, and then setting the angle for the back of the top, and finally how high the roff will go and as long as it passes by the freedom panels. From there you can deside how the corners will look and be structured. The side windows would be pretty straight forward, making a simple cut in the wood, and making a smaller piece go behind it where the glass can be glued or sealed in after you fiberglass the whole thing. For the rear you could use the same approach, but you could use a stock rear hardtop glass.
After you get a real structure setup, then you start fiberglassing the joints, so those build up strength, (glassed inside and out). when the joints have enough strength you'd then need to go over the whole top multiple times with fiberglass mat and resin. Don't forget about how well the doors need to seal with the hardtop, and the freedom panels of course.

It's just a super big project, and if you don't take your time it will definately show. However, if you take your time and do it right, you'll be praised by everyone who see's it.

and make sure you use gloves and wear shitty clothes when working with fiberglass.
Keep us posted on where you go with this, i'd like to see someone take this on. Let me know if you need any pictures of the 2 door hardtop, i'd be happy to take some for ya.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Good to know guys, you have all brought up a lot of valid points that I overlooked. Also as far as the paper mache, I have dont projects with it before, I dont think it would hold very well

Old 08-11-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've done a little work with fiberglass before... If it's not strong enough then just add more! I say go for it. It's a good experience regardless. Just be careful when you doing mockups and laying the glass/resin. Resin doesn't exactly wash out.

I may lay my own fiberglass hardtop in the next 2 years to match an upcoming custom cage/raked windshield mod. Otherwise there will be just as modding to do with an existing wild boar top to fit the new windshield place and roll cage frame.

Quick Reply: Building My Own Hard Top 8/6/2010