Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Building My Own Bumper 4/20/2010 SoCal Build: The Beginning

Old 07-06-2010, 10:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Job!
Good lines all around... I like the overall curve with the hard lined edges throughout.
Looking forward to seeing it all shiny.
You're inspiring us all to grab some heat and melt some metal together!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
Wow...Tay.

This thing is really turning out beautiful.
Congrats on such an awesome job!
Thanks Crash, that means a lot coming from a creative mind like yours. One day man, we'll work on a project together over some of that awesome fishing catch of yours and a couple drinks.

P.S. your hurricane pictures are fantastic, I as a photographer can honestly say those babies were fantastic

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
looks great! can't wait to see the end product.
You and me both my friend, its been a long road, a lot learned but an awesome journey

Originally Posted by Rubidozer
Nice Job!
Good lines all around... I like the overall curve with the hard lined edges throughout.
Looking forward to seeing it all shiny.
You're inspiring us all to grab some heat and melt some metal together!
If I did it, anyone can that has an ounce of creativity and a lot of determination. I had never nce picked up a welder before this project, so I am glad my work inspires and encourages others to do the same.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

I gotta say, I've been following this off and on since day one, and I just checked back after a few weeks and its awsome man. This is really making me consider building my own. I have zero weld time but that didnt seem to stop you. I'll be waiting to see the end product, sure to be impressive.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKred
I gotta say, I've been following this off and on since day one, and I just checked back after a few weeks and its awsome man. This is really making me consider building my own. I have zero weld time but that didnt seem to stop you. I'll be waiting to see the end product, sure to be impressive.

very soon my friend
Old 07-09-2010, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

looks good but man, you got some grinding to do. What type of welder are you using?
Old 07-10-2010, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by whitecon
looks good but man, you got some grinding to do. What type of welder are you using?
Yeah, it was a TON to grind down, holy crap, haha, its all sanded and painted now, just gotta install it. And I used a Lincoln 140 Mig welder, handled all the 1/4 steel like nothing
Old 07-10-2010, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

To satisfy everyones image-loving-eyes, here ya go

I left the welds on the carrier alone seeing that they are all covered by the tires and gear anyways, Id rather it be strong and hidden then pretty and hidden. All that needs to go on is the latch and itll be installed. Hope you all like it, it has its minor flaws, but for a first project, im not complaining by any means, im stoked.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
To satisfy everyones image-loving-eyes, here ya go

I left the welds on the carrier alone seeing that they are all covered by the tires and gear anyways, Id rather it be strong and hidden then pretty and hidden. All that needs to go on is the latch and itll be installed. Hope you all like it, it has its minor flaws, but for a first project, im not complaining by any means, im stoked.
Thats effin bad, brah.

So proud to see fellow forum brethren putting it all out there and trying new things for themselves.
I knew it would be great, but Im even a bit surprised at the level of complexity you embarked upon with such amazing results.

way to go, Tay!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Great job! Looks really awesome.

It's inspiring me now to tackle some bumpers as well. I was going to use similar techniques, but using wood for a mock-up. I wasn't sure how it would turn out though. After seeing yours I have confidence now to give it a try (well as soon as I can get the cash for the metal and some free time, lol). I also have a Lincoln Electric mig welder, but so far have only done a couple of small projects. Did you use shielding gas or flux core wire?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
Thats effin bad, brah.

So proud to see fellow forum brethren putting it all out there and trying new things for themselves.
I knew it would be great, but Im even a bit surprised at the level of complexity you embarked upon with such amazing results.

way to go, Tay!
Thanks again crash, your kind words have certainly helped through this project. You, my friend, were my original inspiration for DIY projects, as you know from the quad light bumper. That to me was a project and a half, but I still rock it on a daily basis an get compliments galore. Now I stepped it up a notch and learner welding and well, here it is, over 200 hours later with cut up hands, I couldnt be prouder. My fabbing days will be put on hold for a while, Im a bit burned out which Im sure in understandable, but this is my welding foundation

Originally Posted by jc08yellow
Great job! Looks really awesome.

It's inspiring me now to tackle some bumpers as well. I was going to use similar techniques, but using wood for a mock-up. I wasn't sure how it would turn out though. After seeing yours I have confidence now to give it a try (well as soon as I can get the cash for the metal and some free time, lol). I also have a Lincoln Electric mig welder, but so far have only done a couple of small projects. Did you use shielding gas or flux core wire?
Yeah its just 3/16 particle board, or rather pegboard without the holes, easy to cut and realistic to size as far as when you cut the metal. tack the wood together with a hot glue gun and youre set, it dries in seconds, so you just hold it while it dries.

As far as metal, check scrap yards. That partially why this took me so long, I made the best for my buck. Total I spent around $100 for EVERYTHING for this project minus the hinge from A-Z Fabrication. I dont think thats too bad or this setup. As for welding I just went with flux core wire, costs a bit more but if you go the other route you have to factor ingas anyways, I just went simple to start since I was a beginning welder

Quick Reply: Building My Own Bumper 4/20/2010 SoCal Build: The Beginning