Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Building My Own Bumper 4/20/2010 SoCal Build: The Beginning

Old 04-20-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building My Own Bumper 4/20/2010 SoCal Build: The Beginning

So this is going to be my first major fabrication project. Ive been talking about doing it for some time now and I have finally saved up a little money to get the ball rolling. Here is what I have planned so far but I wanted to keep in check with you guys as I go so you can correct me if I start to make a wrong turn before it actually costs me something, I know there are some experienced builders here that'll be able to help significantly. It is going to be a full rear bumper with swing away tire carrier, jerry can holders, hi-lift mount, and possibly a cargo cage on top.

So, first of, my plan, again please correct me or feel free to throw some advice in.

Step 1, starts tomorrow: The Mockup
- - - - -
I plan to do a cardboard cutout of the entire thing so that I can not only make sure I like how it looks, but then also use the cardboard pieces as stencils to trace on the steel when I am prepping for cutting. I plan to use 3/16" steel as this seems to be what most aftermarket bumpers are made out of. The bumper is going to mount straight to the to rear frame mounts just like the stock bumper does.

I want to use a similar hinge to the one that LoD uses for their bumper, can someone please dirrect me to a place I can buy just the hinge for the swing away tire carrier? Also if anyone has experience putting one of these on, any advice would be greatly appreciated, I want to make ure it is level, sturdy, and quiet.

I will continue this later when I get back from class but please start chiming in with advice, Im very excited to get the ball rolling tomorrow

PART 1 DONE!
-----

The stock-ish start

Decided to use 3/16 particle board for the mockup/stencils, I started with the corners

The first fit of one of the corners

With the center portion

Getting close, just need the bottom angles

Mockup done

All done, I made it with many angles, high clearance corners but still full width, and, it works with the stock trailer hitch so itll be all tow rated and covered by the factory

Ill be getting the 3/16" steel to start cutting out soon, just gotta get a few other things done first. Hope you enjoy the progress pics, sorrry to leave you all hanging so long

Not much of an advance, but its something. The first steel parts

The main support brackets with support holes drilled, thats just a tiny bolt holding it up for no, bigger ones come later

Made them out of 1/4" steel

Both of them on

Took off the old supports and put the bolts back in the holes

More to come later

Update:
---------
Been busy so havent had a lot of time to work but heres an update

Got the first corner tacked and welded, just gotta grind and clean up the outside welds. Im pretty happy so far

I will be starting the next corner either late tomorrow night or tuesday

Last edited by So_Cal_Tay_12; 05-23-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Use 3/16" fiberboard instead of cardboard, it is more sturdy. I used masking tape to hold the pieces together. You will have to use a saw to cut the fiberboard though. Great idea. I believe you can get a hinge from a-z fabrication.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Awesome, thanks for the heads up, and ill definitely check out a-z fabrication.

Another question I have is about the "one-swing" motion of opening it like expedition one's. Other than it just being less of a hassle to get into the back, are there any benefits to using this setup? If it is for support purposes I can come up with something but if it is just for access ill probably save myself the extra work for now.

Again thanks for the help guys, progress pics to follow
Old 04-22-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is my bumper build
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...de-rear-bumper
The Swing out carrier that works with the stock gate adds a lot of work. I spent a lot of time trying to get all of the rattles out but it was worth the effort.

I no longer use a rubber hose on my support pin, now I use a nylon block. Also added a Polyurathane bumper on the top of the carrier to help. I found that the heims make noise unless they are always under tension, the poly bumper provides this.

Here is my support pin. I have zero weight on the gate due to this design.

Here is the gate fully closed. Note the black poly bump stop contacting the SS plate on the gate. This keeps the Heims under tension.

half way open

All the way open

One more picture

I also used the AtoZ bearing/spindle for my hinge.

Last edited by alancamby; 04-22-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by alancamby
Here is my bumper build
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...de-rear-bumper
The Swing out carrier that works with the stock gate adds a lot of work. I spent a lot of time trying to get all of the rattles out but it was worth the effort.

Here is the gate fully closed. Note the black poly bump stop contacting the SS plate on the gate. This keeps the Heims under tension.

I also used the AtoZ bearing/spindle for my hinge.
How easy was the a-z spindle to install? Did you get the regular one of the heavy duty one? And ps your "one swing" motion design is awesome, I think once I get my carrier built I am going to try to incorporate one of those
Old 04-22-2010, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bcrouse
There is another rear bumper build thread in here.....check that one out for info

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=1#post1637054
Read through that one the other day, very helpful but thank you, I saved the link
Old 04-22-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
How easy was the a-z spindle to install? Did you get the regular one of the heavy duty one? And ps your "one swing" motion design is awesome, I think once I get my carrier built I am going to try to incorporate one of those
Thanks for the compliment.
I bought the heavy duty version from AtoZ. One problem I had with it.... after welding my 2x3 tube to the spindle the heat egg shaped the tube slightly. This made the Bearing races imposible to install. Ended up spending about 4 hours Die grinder with sanding drums making the tube round again. The AtoZ site only shows this spindle being used with 2x2 tube, this would keep the heat away from the thin ends. Maybe Tig welding would work better, anyhow the moral of the story is to be careful with the heat.

If I was doing this again I would take a closer look at 4x4 labs spindle (I will send PM with link)
It is a lot thicker then the AtoZ spindle, and from what I can tell, is a stronger setup.

As far as installin the AtoZ, I just drilled a 1.5" hole in both the top and bottom of my 2x5 rectangle tube then welded both the top and botom of the tube. The bearings are setup just like a front spindle on a old 2wd car.
I assume you realize that LOD , Shrockworks and many others use a solid steel shaft on the bumper and the carrier contains the tube/bushing without the use of ball or roller bearings. Don't know of anyone who sells this style spindle for the "Homemade" market. The shaft that these companys use is very thick, most are 1.5" I think.
The Ato Z might be 1.5", but the bearing shaft is only 1"
Good luck

Last edited by alancamby; 04-22-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by alancamby
Thanks for the compliment.
I bought the heavy duty version from AtoZ. One problem I had with it.... after welding my 2x3 tube to the spindle the heat egg shaped the tube slightly. This made the Bearing races imposible to install. Ended up spending about 4 hours Die grinder with sanding drums making the tube round again. The AtoZ site only shows this spindle being used with 2x2 tube, this would keep the heat away from the thin ends. Maybe Tig welding would work better, anyhow the moral of the story is to be careful with the heat.

If I was doing this again I would take a closer look at 4x4 labs spindle (I will send PM with link)
It is a lot thicker then the AtoZ spindle, and from what I can tell, is a stronger setup.

As far as installin the AtoZ, I just drilled a 1.5" hole in both the top and bottom of my 2x5 rectangle tube then welded both the top and botom of the tube. The bearings are setup just like a front spindle on a old 2wd car.
I assume you realize that LOD , Shrockworks and many others use a solid steel shaft on the bumper and the carrier contains the tube/bushing without the use of ball or roller bearings. Don't know of anyone who sells this style spindle for the "Homemade" market. The shaft that these companys use is very thick, most are 1.5" I think.
The Ato Z might be 1.5", but the bearing shaft is only 1"
Good luck
thanks for all of the advice on the spindle, being that I have never welded one, I probably would have burned the living hell out of it without even thinking twice. I saved your post, its for sure going to come in handy.

As for progress, the whole thing is drawn up, just have to cut it out to make the mock bumper. Time has been very tight lately Pictures soon I promise, hopefully this weekend will give me a chance to go to town on this baby
Old 04-23-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Junkie

looking forward to it!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

my brother inlaw and I are working on two bumpers - one for the JK and one for his Dodge 3500 using the same idea as far as fiber board as a prototype. The steel yard in our area as a CNC plasma cutter that only cost $4 a minute for them to cut. It is fast and precise. You may see if any one has a service like this in your area...check it out...

santaritasteel.com/services.html

Last edited by sm_rubi; 05-04-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Please refrain from posting direct links to companies who are not sponsors of Project-JK.com

Quick Reply: Building My Own Bumper 4/20/2010 SoCal Build: The Beginning