Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Broken transfer case link

Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by riknapora
If anyone wants a baggie of those retainers, in addition to a metal retainer with a clip design that fixes that stupid crappy retainer once and for all, let me know. I have a Picasa album that details the "how to," but with the pieces already finished, all you need to do is put them on and forget about it. I also have an extra shift linkage with the post on it so you can practice putting the assembly together before you crawl under your hot exhaust. Here is the album i made with the details of the fix I came up with: https://plus.google.com/photos/11619...626?banner=pwa

If you count back about 5 slides the picture with the finished bushing on the selector lever is what I have two of. You can fix both ends of the cable.
Sure, the I'll take them! With 83k on the clock, I'm sure I'm sure for a failure soon! I'll PM you my contact info. Ok?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riknapora
If anyone wants a baggie of those retainers, in addition to a metal retainer with a clip design that fixes that stupid crappy retainer once and for all, let me know. I have a Picasa album that details the "how to," but with the pieces already finished, all you need to do is put them on and forget about it. I also have an extra shift linkage with the post on it so you can practice putting the assembly together before you crawl under your hot exhaust. Here is the album i made with the details of the fix I came up with: https://plus.google.com/photos/11619...626?banner=pwa

If you count back about 5 slides the picture with the finished bushing on the selector lever is what I have two of. You can fix both ends of the cable.
Ingenious solution, well done!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 PM
WRE
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the same thing I did, except I made my bushing out of brass and used a washer on the outside with e clip. Mine broke under console first, still need to do transfer end.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Heavy Duty JK Cable Shifter Upgrade | Advance Adapters

Little pricey but it should solve the problem.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by desertzj
Heavy Duty JK Cable Shifter Upgrade | Advance Adapters

Little pricey but it should solve the problem.
That video is helpful in understanding the whole thing. And that cable is SERIOUS!

AdamIsAdam
Old 12-28-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Im in the club now.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Awesome, just joined the club too, about 45 minutes from the start of the trail on an all day outing. Stuck in 4lo. Luckily I remembered reading about this so I was able to get home at the end of the day! thanks guys
Just realized how long ago I posted this... I originally fixed it with a zip tie.. Still holding with the same zip tie!!!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Default JK Transfer Case Cable Failure and Solution

After reading the posts about the weak JK transfer case cable I purchased the aftermarket unit from Summit Racing for $189. My dealer installed it at a cost of $480 and they put far more time into it than they billed. The Advance Adapters part no. 715596 is a high quality, strong unit, but it only comes in one size for 2 door and 4 door. The space you need to work in under the body will require a lift and a lot of patience. That said, we are ready to sling some mud without fear that the plastic cable ends will snap at a very inconvenient time.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladimer

Just realized how long ago I posted this... I originally fixed it with a zip tie.. Still holding with the same zip tie!!!
I used two in an "X" pattern. Probably had 60K miles when the throw-out bearing went. Was laying under the Jeep swapping it and the clutch out when a friend asked if I had a replacement transfer case cable. Doh! I now have over 50K miles on the replacement zip-ties. Main bearing I'd leaking, so this time I will replace that cable. But zip-ties do work.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default I'm another crap clip for men member

So I was at Attica Indiana today. For the ultra 4 race. And popped the bushing. Nothing like laying under a jeep and having a buddy put it into 4 low as he moves it...So w the zip tie fix should I buy a new plastic clip and zip tie.

Quick Reply: Broken transfer case link