Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Broken transfer case link

Old 05-09-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken transfer case link

I will start off by saying

So several of us made a run up Martinez Mine here in AZ today. There were a couple of JK's (me and jrock776) a few TJ's and we were joined by one Toyota FJ. Prior to making the run, the FJ owner stated that he had never been on a run with Jeeps where one did not break down. Talkin a little smack, but that was ok, it was in fun.

We made the run up to the mine and had a great time. The Jeeps all handled the trails with ease, where as the FJ had its fair share of struggles, but made it none the less.

We turn around and head back out, make it past the most difficult parts and I go to shift from 4 lo to 4 hi and my shifter is moving freely and not engaging. I was still in 4 lo, however, it felt like a cable had broken with no resistance on the shifter whatsoever.

We stop and take a peek underneath and finally find where the cable from the shifter attaches to the transfer case. The small plastic clip that holds the cable on the transfer case arm was broken and the cable slipped off the arm. (this is where I will have pictures later I swear).

I do not know if this is normal, but it was held on with a plastic retainer clip!!

Thankfully we were able to get the cable to slip back on and hold it in place manually long enough for me to be able to shift into 2wd for the rest of the ride home.

I am sure you guessed it, the FJ owner looked at his rig and laughed and said he didn't seem to be having any problems. Again in fun, but I was pissed. A Rubicon with just over 3000 miles on it and it breaks.

Appointment at the dealer on Monday.

Has anyone else experienced this? Surely by the way it was put together, I can't be the only one.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes this has happened to a number of jk's there is a really easy cheap trail fix check out this thread
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...corbett&page=5

they all carry those nuts now
Old 05-09-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Geez! No fun

I'm glad you got out AOK. I hope the dealer takes care of it with no problem.

I can't wait to see pics. I want to go look at mine to see how "weak" it looks . I will tomorrow when it's light.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

same thing happened to me last Saturday. thankfully a friend was there to help me while i shifted in and out of 4WD i got it fixed yesterday so we could wheel today without having to mess with it. i was worried the dealer would give me crap about the 35's, but they were actually cool about it.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Pics

Ok, here are the pics. A little hard to see, but just to the left of the driveshaft you can see the cable from the shifter. Follow it back and you can see where the end is free hanging and not attached to the transfer case arm.

Attachment 23861

Attachment 23862

Thank you for the link posted above. I will check it out.

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-24-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those are some great pics of the arm and cable everyone in FL is now carrying one of those nuts on their key chain, its a 3/16th
Old 05-09-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, its a terrible design. I've seen brand new JKs on dealership lots break like that.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Copied 3/16th. Will be stopping by home depot tomorrow. Thanks.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-28-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

This happened to my friends cherokee in high school when we were romping through some orchards late at night. Major PITA when your trying to make a run for it in 4LO haha.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

does anyone have the part number for this plastic connector so I can get some?

Quick Reply: Broken transfer case link