Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Broke my stock Rubi wheel!

Old 06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Broke my stock Rubi wheel!

so i don't know how or when i did it, but at some point while at Rausch Creek on saturday i managed to do this

it was holding air fairly well (only a slow leak) and i didn't really notice it until i got off of the trail. as you can see, it's on the inside of the wheel so it wasn't something you could catch under a simple visual inspection. i had to air it up to get it to leak enough to be able to track down where it was actually leaking from. i only noticed because it seemed to be a bit more spread out than i'm used to seeing at 16-18 psi, which is what i usually run on the trail. when we got back to the staging area, i checked it and it was only at about 8 psi. i swapped with my spare for the ride back home but now i'm stuck without a spare. i'm going to pull the tire this weekend to see how it looks. if it seems to be in good shape, i'll find a wheel to throw it on and it'll be used only for a spare in emergency situations. only problem is i need a wheel now. anybody trying to get rid of a single stock 17" wheel lol? i figure i'll probably wind up buying a cheap steelie to throw on there till these wear out and i go with my 35's. oh well. here are some more pics for ya

Old 06-22-2010, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OUCH! And I thought I was hard on my stock Rubi rims! I bent two and cut two tires so far. If you find a set of Rubi rims that you want to share, let me know. I've been looking for 2 or 3 that are round, but don't care what they look like.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sucks!!! Must have taken a pretty good lick to crack it though.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

So no memory at all of an OMG, that friggin' hurt type of hit? Hope you get a wheel on the cheap and soon.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did a similar thing on sunday at RC. Mine only looked to be the front surface. Maybe I should look at the back side as I also didn't do it.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

since i'm all skidded up and have diff covers, i tend to go for just about anything thrown in front of me when out on the trail. since i'm still on stock suspension, i was hearing scrapes and bangs all throughout the day here and there. i really don't think that the wheel damage would have been too noticeable tho. since it's the wheel, you have the springs and shocks (and if the suspension is bottomed out, which i'm sure it was, the bumpstops) to absorb the hit and lessen the impact felt in the cab. there were a few times where the suspension might have bottomed out but never in any kind of alarming, hard hitting way. who knows off to continue the search for a new wheel
Old 06-22-2010, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

When I had an XJ, and frequented the various XJ forums, I saw quite a few pics of stock Jeep cast aluminum wheels that either cracked, or broke. Most would brake right where the inner rim meets the wheel face, they'd crack all the way around.

Check eBay, I saw singles on there for around $75 last I checked.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. I have to wonder if a little more sidewall (either from 15 or 16" wheels, or from 35" tires, or even from a little more tire pressure) might not have prevented this.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the same thing. that's why I'm looking to go 15'' with 33's. I'm tired of wheel & tire problems!
Old 06-23-2010, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

ouch......

Quick Reply: Broke my stock Rubi wheel!