Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Bring on the Flame: 20 inch Rockstars

Old 05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose
Well, judging by my limited knowledge of the calcs needed, I'm going to say that your tread would be flush with the fenders on the first set-up, and about 1" outside on the second. This can be affected by the actual width of the wheel a bit, which you didn't list. Judging by the offset/backspacing measurements, I'm guessing that you're somewhere around an 8" to 8.5" wide wheel. If that's the case, I'd be a bit wary of the 305/55/20s. That's a 12" wide tire with a very short sidewall to make up the difference.

Keep in mind that these measurements aren't exact and could, in fact, be completely wrong.

Since I answered your question to the best of my ability I now reserve the right to flame you when I feel it's appropriate.

EDIT: I just noticed in something that you posted while I was writing this that the wheels are 8.5" wide.

GOOSE MAY FLAME AWAY, THIS WAS AT LEAST THE CLOSET ANSWER....THANK YOU GOOSE....FOLLOW UP QUESTION...The wheels are in fact 8.5....question is whats the concern with a 305/55/20-12.5 wide tire....

it seems as if 8.5 is the minimum width for most of the tires, but could you explain the problems associated with the shorter width wheel and a 305.....

thanks goose.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Default Dare To Be Different

Originally Posted by itsajeepthing
I expected this and its ok.... just wish somebody could flame me and give me an answer to the original question....people on here know there stuff, so I figure even if they don't like they will at least be able to crunch the above numbers and tell me where the wheels will sit in relation to the fenders.

and the above was not meant to be wise....I know I am charting in dangerous waters, but I like the look, but also LOVE everyone elses JKs as well.
Hey Man

Dare to be different - if you can, push the whole envelope (till it tears) if you wish....
We never got where we are by being ALL conventional or pleasing everyone.
I would love for you to be safe though....

Sorry I cannot answer your question - perhaps a simulation software would help here
But I support you all the way.....

It IS a itsajeepthing

Jeep On
Old 05-04-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by itsajeepthing
GOOSE MAY FLAME AWAY, THIS WAS AT LEAST THE CLOSET ANSWER....THANK YOU GOOSE....FOLLOW UP QUESTION...The wheels are in fact 8.5....question is whats the concern with a 305/55/20-12.5 wide tire....

it seems as if 8.5 is the minimum width for most of the tires, but could you explain the problems associated with the shorter width wheel and a 305.....

thanks goose.
If you use a tire that is too wide for the rim it's going to do several things.
1. The bead seat isn't going to be very good
2. The tire will end up being convex, causing more wear toward the center of the tire
3. You're Jeep won't handle very well because of the convex shape of the tire

A taller tire will be able to make up for the discrepancy between the rim width and tire width a little better, but the shorter the sidewall, the more drastic the problem will be.

Keep in mind, this is a personal recommendation. I can't be sure that this combo won't work, but it certainly isn't one that I would run, especially if you have ANY thoughts of wheeling this Jeep.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 20" Rockstars

The 20's look ok with 37" Pit Bull Tires, but they are beat up pretty badly from off-roading. If you go to 4wheelersupply.com they have more pics, click on the JK buildup section.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

Yeah that's one of the inspirations. The most wheeling mine will see for now is some light wooded trails, mud trails, no bogs, rocks, swamps or water pits.

Its funny though. Almost all of the 305/55/20s say that the minimum tire width is 8.5. EXCEPT for the Terra Grappler....they say with a 305/55/20, the minimum width is 9.0 inches....wonder what the gig is.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puddlz
All that $$$ in wheels , couldn't afford any bumpers, winches, cages ETC.
x2 TRUE!
Old 05-05-2008, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

All that $$$ in wheels , couldn't afford any bumpers, winches, cages ETC.
that jeep has a 6.1 hemi in it now. it also has custom bumpers, a powerplant, superior chro-mo shafts, Auburn ECTED lockers. that pic was in the early stages of its build.
they also took off the stupid looking star center caps on the wheels. they look much better without that ugly star in the center.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

SHOW US YOUR UPGRADES AND action SHOTS

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/jkbui.../new-products/

all the pics your heart can desire. just browse around. I happen to think its quite, bada$$.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Just not a practical solution for me. I spend most time on the dry stuff....if I'm gonna be off the roads in Florida, probably be in light mud trails/sand...

The real question is.....why do some tires that are 305/55/20 say 8.5"-11"

and the Terra Grappler's 9-11"

In fact the Terra Grappler's are the only 305/55/20 that they recommend 9 inch minimum width.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Here is how 20" ' s should be done, on 40" tires

http://www.project-jk.com/wp-gallery...2_itemId=44782

Just my opinion with the proper suspension.
OMG...that is badass. I think I just wet my pants...

Quick Reply: Bring on the Flame: 20 inch Rockstars