Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Brackets you can make for your JK from the left-over OEM bumper

Old 02-10-2013, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Brackets you can make for your JK from the left-over OEM bumper

The men of the world generally fall into two categories; 1) those that pay others to do repairs or make things; and 2) those that do it themselves.
Clearly, anyone who reads this forum falls into the 2nd category.

With that in mind, I thought I'd share some photos of things that I made for my '12 JKUR out of the metal OEM front bumper.
When I took it off, I knew that I didn't want to just toss it; there was lots of steel of a thickness that could be worked into other things.
Over the past months, I've made assorted brackets using the steel, and here are the photos showing you what I came up with.

The first thing was mounting brackets for a hi-lift jack. I knew that I didn't want to store the jack on the outside of the vehicle because I live on the coast and things rust pretty quickly. I bought a couple of exhaust pipe U-shaped brackets and then cut some of the steel to form the brackets to actually hold the jack. The first photo is of the finished product, that also shows my shovel attached (more on that later). It's located just high enough for storage underneath without blocking my view with the rear view mirror.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	420675

The next photo is of the right-hand side bracket. The two exhaust bracket bolts just happen to fit through the holes in the base of the jack; no drilling needed.

Name:	Right bracket.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	420676

The next photo is of the left hand side. This piece of steel didn't come from the OEM bumper, but was left over from my Warn winch fairlead brackets. I needed the extra thickness to support the weight of the jack. The width fits the channel of the jack column, so it doesn't move around at all.

Name:	Left bracket.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	420679

Then I made brackets to hold the shovel, shown in the next photo. You'll recognize the rubber fist clamps.

Name:	Shovel bracket.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	420682

I had seen molle rack storage brackets for the wheel wells on another forum. I liked the look of the brackets, but wasn't into the whole molle pack thing. I wanted storage behind the bracket. So using metal from the bumper, I made the longer brackets connecting the top to the side of the JK roof, and also two brackets on each end of the molle bracket to keep things from sliding out from behind the bracket (just to be clear, the front of the bracket with the "Jeep" logo was purchased on e-bay). This worked pretty well. Now I have my 12v air pump on one side and recovery gear on the other side.

Name:	Molle rack.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	420683

Last edited by Grand Umpah; 02-10-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default One more item!

Didn't have space on the OP

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I had a beer opener that I really wanted to mount on the bumper, but finally decided that I didn't want to give law enforcement "probable cause" to stop me on a whim. So I tried a number of interior locations, and finally came up with mounting it on the left rear door bracket. Yes, it is fully functional. Now time to go Jeepin'!

Name:	Beer opener.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	420685
Old 03-23-2013, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just removed my stock front bumper as well. Thanks for the ideas! I too have the rear Molle panels but am not in love with them. I might widen them too.

Quick Reply: Brackets you can make for your JK from the left-over OEM bumper