Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Body shop guys, need some advice!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body shop guys, need some advice!

I'm trying to save my money and do this in my nicely equipped garage.

A log or rock came up and smashed my lower passenger quarter panel, near the pinch seam. I've just about got the panel off to fix it but its still attached somehow in one spot. I hoping the picture will do justice to what I'm talking about. It's attached to the right of the antenna, on the inside of the panel.

Is it glued or sealed with something? And what is it so I can get it back together once I'm done?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120119_000021.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	266731   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120119_000054.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	266732  
Old 01-18-2012, 11:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remove the antenna assembly? or are you saying its bonded to the cowl?
Old 01-19-2012, 02:49 AM
JK Freak

Bonded somehow to the cowl. The antenna actually has 2 bolts in it and I need to get the panel off first.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Anyone....?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a way to get that antenna trim thingy off. Look around for the instructions for installing windshield light brackets. They describe a way of pulling the whole thing off to angle the antenna forward. I remember seeing it in the instructions when I installed my brackets...but I didn't do it. There's something in there about taking a pair of vise grips to the thing that I just couldn't bring myself to do.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to give bad news, but maybe this could help. Sorry man if this is the case, sucks
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ove-Cowl-Vent&
Old 01-19-2012, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

Well, inside the quarter panel, the antenna is screwed in with 2 screws that I believe I can get off once the q panel is off. There's enough slack in the wire that I'd be able to get it off. What I'm trying to do is get the quarter panel off. I was gonna try to remove the cowl but it is indeed welded on.

With the q panel, the cowl in attached, and it looks as though the 2 meet and two thin pieces of sheet metal are adhered together somehow. I don't want to separate them and do damage. Everything else with the q panel is off, just those 2 pieces where they meet. It doesn't look welded, maybe some kind of bonding agent was used... There's even a hole for a bolt but no bolt!

Thanks for the help guys! My rig is parked until I get her repaired and I'm hoping it'll be before the wheelin season starts back up, in March! Although, wheelin is an all weather, anytime thing for me!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Have you removed the center section of the cowl. If not; there are four plastic push pins in the center of the cowl. Remove them. Then remove the four screws on top of the cowl (2 each side). Remove the windshield wipers. Then remove cowl panel. Look inside at the edge where the end of the cowl panel was attached. There are two screws that hold the outer cowl panel that is attached to the fender in place. Also I think you will have to remove the lower windshield brace also.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by popo343
Have you removed the center section of the cowl. If not; there are four plastic push pins in the center of the cowl. Remove them. Then remove the four screws on top of the cowl (2 each side). Remove the windshield wipers. Then remove cowl panel. Look inside at the edge where the end of the cowl panel was attached. There are two screws that hold the outer cowl panel that is attached to the fender in place. Also I think you will have to remove the lower windshield brace also.
Good info, sir! I can't wait to leave work tomorrow! I might sleep in the garage! Haha thanks for the help!
Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

No problem man.

Quick Reply: Body shop guys, need some advice!