Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Bike rack, PICTURE REQUEST

Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Mopar spare bike rack. It mounts to the spare very snug and it really clamps down on the bikes holding them tight. Even off the pavement the bikes barely move. It is all lockable too.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Get a Northshore rack the website is northshoreracks.com. Or a Swing-way rack that way you can get into the back no problem. I have the thule swing away model its a sweet unit.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beepjeep
has anybody tried this spare tire mount? it seems to have two mount options- one for larger tires. i had the thule "spare me" bike rack, but didn't fit my 33s.

http://www.bikerackshops.com/SAR999.html

I have that saris spare tire rack. I bought it off ebay a few years ago. It works very well. The only major concern would be the added weight and stress to the rear door hinges.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by priell3
I have the Mopar spare bike rack. It mounts to the spare very snug and it really clamps down on the bikes holding them tight. Even off the pavement the bikes barely move. It is all lockable too.
Could you post a pic of the mopar spare tire rack....

Thanks
Chris
Old 06-18-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gt3073b
There are a few posts about bike racks, and it looks like none of the Yakimas and only the expensive (T2) Thules work well with the spare tire. A couple folks suggested the Allen 640RR which is what I ordered yesterday from Quadratec. They price matched 4 Wheel Drive Hardwares price so I got it for $105 plus $20 shipping.

This model is designed with a long bottom bar for a 2" hitch to clear the rear spare tire. The LBS said the spare tire mounts aren't great for the money and I didn't see any that would work with anything larger than a 31" tire.

Bryan.
Hey Bryan did you get the Allen 640RR bike rack that you ordered from Quadratec. Can you post some pics and a review on it if you have it..

Chris
Old 06-28-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

having left my T2 in pa when i moved to colorado...i was promised it would be shipped. not yet..so...i used a Yakima kingpin4 today. all i can say is the T2 has me spoiled. best rack ever made. these other post racks just suck compared to the T2. trust me....well worth the money.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gt thanks for the pics of the Allen rack. Seems like a sturdy rack. I wish it had the anti sway cradles like the yakima racks have. Do the bikes move around alot when they are strapped in? Is there any movement from the rack it self?
Old 06-28-2008, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by voodoojk
having left my T2 in pa when i moved to colorado...i was promised it would be shipped. not yet..so...i used a Yakima kingpin4 today. all i can say is the T2 has me spoiled. best rack ever made. these other post racks just suck compared to the T2. trust me....well worth the money.
Did the kingpin 4 clear the spare tire or did you have to add an extention. I know the T2 is a much better rack then the kingpin, but how did the kingpin work for you. Do you have anything positive to say. I may only use it 4-6 times a month so i am looking for an in expensive rack. Would the kingpin fit the bill...
Old 06-28-2008, 08:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4x4fn
Did the kingpin 4 clear the spare tire or did you have to add an extention. I know the T2 is a much better rack then the kingpin, but how did the kingpin work for you. Do you have anything positive to say. I may only use it 4-6 times a month so i am looking for an in expensive rack. Would the kingpin fit the bill...

it clears the spare...by a frog hair. rubi tire might not clear. it actually rubs on the tire where it curves up from the hitch. So i cant open my gate at all. It tilts down but the non tilting part is what hits the tire. i just used this rack as we had it at work (car dealer) and i needed to go riding. honestly...if you are using family bikes not of high value then the rack is ok. but with high dollar bikes i wouldnt want to use it. i had to by the toptube bar just to hold the bike then use all these strap to keep it from moving. The T2...you drop the bike on,pull the lever and strap the wheel. Ground to driving in under 30 seconds.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by voodoojk
it clears the spare...by a frog hair. rubi tire might not clear. it actually rubs on the tire where it curves up from the hitch. So i cant open my gate at all. It tilts down but the non tilting part is what hits the tire. i just used this rack as we had it at work (car dealer) and i needed to go riding. honestly...if you are using family bikes not of high value then the rack is ok. but with high dollar bikes i wouldnt want to use it. i had to by the toptube bar just to hold the bike then use all these strap to keep it from moving. The T2...you drop the bike on,pull the lever and strap the wheel. Ground to driving in under 30 seconds.
From the research that i have done on hitch bike racks it seems that the t2 is one of the most popular racks. I just cant justify spending over 400 dollars just to carry 2 bikes.

On the other hand I spent 3,000 on my mt bike and 2,000 on my road bike so I dont want a cheap rack. Also I have 3 kids that ride so at some point I will need to carry up to 4 bikes. This is not an easy decision....

Quick Reply: Bike rack, PICTURE REQUEST