Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Bike rack, PICTURE REQUEST

Old 06-10-2008, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike rack, PICTURE REQUEST

I am in the market for a bike rack for my 4 door wrangler. Thinking more on the lines of a tire mount because of cost, but I would prefere a hitch mount instead. I would like to see some pics of your bike rack. Also like some feedback from some of you that own the tire rack, is it safe, does it secure the bike well. Should i go with a hitch rack instead. Keep in mind i am transporting a $3300.00 bike.

Thanks
Chris
Old 06-10-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

I'm using the Thule 957 - Parkway 4 Bike carrier with a Hidden Hitch receiver on my Rubi. The carrier clears the spare by an inch or two.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Freak

I was going to recomend the same cheapo I used until I saw how much your bike cost ! I use the $65 hitch mount cheapo from Wally world, used it to haul 2 bikes 3000 miles from TX, to PA and back with no problems!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 AM
JK Freak

I use a hitch mount for my bikes, but that means I've got to use my bronco for now.

I think I just got a generic one though, but it folds down while mounted in the receiver, so I can open the tailgate. I think most of them have this feature now, but always something to look for.

Even if you go with the tire mount ones, it might get in the way of opening the back door, so be careful the first time you do.

Sorry, can't help other than that, and no pics since its not on my Jeep.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

here's what i have... https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...9&postcount=28. Not sure it will suffice for a $3300 bike though!

if you search "hitch bike rack" you'll get plenty of threads with a bunch of different racks.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Mine's a hollywood. Has a tightening rachet to lock it to the pin, and all 3rd bar down low to keep the bikes more stable.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

I have a Thule T2. I really like the bike rack and wanted to make it work. The best part is that someone on the forum already worked out a solution and I did the same. Couldn't be happier.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...880#post428880
Old 06-10-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Junkie

T2. Im lovin it.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the reply's so far.

My only complaint with the hitch rack is that you can't open the back door, that is why i was thinking
of going with the tire rack...

Chris
Old 06-10-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't speak from a security standpoint, I haven't had to lock it up or anything, but the bike goes nowhere once it's secured to the mount. This is a single bike rack from raxterracks.com. The price was right (~$169), and I've bumped it around a bit while it's been mounted and was actually surprised at how well it secured the bike. Obviously my t"wrec"k doesn't ring in quite as costly as your rig, but I thought I'd toss the rack in. There are some prety good reviews out there for it as well.

Quick Reply: Bike rack, PICTURE REQUEST