Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

BigSteve build thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't get a chance to update where the build got to before I went to Moab. So I am going to do that now. After picking up the Jeep from Rebel Offroad it was time to handle all the little things. First I started with trimming the fenders. Just a note. If you have access to air tools, use them! I wore out a dremel tool after 2 1/2 fenders. But I finally got the job done. I then finished off the fenders with door edge trim molding that has adhesive in it. As you can see I trimmed the fenders, removed the rear fender liners, trimmed the front fender supports, and trimmed the front fender liners. I also needed a way to carry a full size spare. So I installed a Smittybuilt rear carrier. Hopefully not a permanent solution but it worked to get me through Moab. I was also having an issue with the rear tires rubbing the rear bumper so I pulled it off. I then installed a CB kit from Cool Tech LLC. A thank you goes out to Big Low for helping me route my wiring and tune the CB. It worked awesome. I was also lucky enough to find a local forum member that was selling a stubbied front bumper with VDP endcaps. I swapped over my fog lights and installed it. So after it was all said and done here is how it looked for its first day in Moab. For its first shake down trip the Jeep worked awesome. I didn't do crazy hard trails but did get a chance to flex it out and test everything. It all worked great amd made easy work of the rocks and climbs. Most importantly nothing broke and I was able to make the 11 hour drive home without issue.

Last edited by BigSteve; 04-01-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Looking good!

So what RK lift do you end up going with? You still have the stock gearing?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

It's the Rock Krawler 3.5 inch Max Travel kit and yes I am still running the stock 4.10 gearing. For where I live and the wheeling I have done thus far it works just fine. I can tell you though that with 37's and the 4.10's trying to pull some of those mountain passes on the way to and from Moab had me down shifting quite a bit.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good! thanks for sharing
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Thank you for the kind words and your welcome
Old 04-04-2013, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice Build.....It sure is nice knowing people in the industry
Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Super Freak

The only reason I now know people in the industry is because I applied for sponsorship with the company that they work for.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigSteve
The only reason I now know people in the industry is because I applied for sponsorship with the company that they work for.
cool deal....
Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 PM
JK Freak

Very nice. Can't wait for more updates!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

So after taking care of some personal stuff in my life I am able to get the project back on track. I decided to go a different direction with the fender flares. After driving around for a while with the stock flares cut I realized that I liked them but not as much as the Bushwacker flares. So I got in touch with them and after talking it over with them, I decided to go with the flat flares. They went on great with no issues once I figured out what I was doing. I was worried that they might be too wide but they are about the same width as my cut stock flares so that's cool. Then I finally got a chance to go do the Rubicon Trail and test out what my Jeep will really do. It went through the trail great, the only time that I got hung up is when I screwed the pooch! So here's a couple of poser shots and a couple of action shots. Having done Moab and Rubicon in the same year I can totally say that these are both awesome places to go and worlds apart wheeling wise. For scenery with great wheeling definitely do Moab. For good solid wheeling throughout the trip, do Rubicon.

Quick Reply: BigSteve build thread