Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

BigSteve build thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BigSteve build thread

So I have been contributing on the forum for a while and figured that it was time that I let you all see what I am up to. First, a little back story. I got into the Jeeping world with a 1995 Cherokee. It was supposed to be a father/son toy for us to go offroading in Rubicon with. It was a manual trans with a 4.0l and it was manual everything. With no AC! I had a car that I was driving everyday so the no AC thing was not a big deal for me. Well my car started to take a dump so I sold it and started driving the XJ everyday. Still not a huge issue for me but the wife HATED it! So I started looking for a Grand Cherokee. After two years of looking and not liking anything I found (I am super type A when it comes to cars) my wife apparently had had enough. She came home one day and said "You know what, why don't we just buy you a new Wrangler. That way you can have exactly what you want and you don't have to buy something that has issues." I immediately thought to myself "Don't play with my emotions like that. It's not funny." Turns out she wasn't bullsh#tin' me. Next thing you know we were in contact with Capistrano Jeep and custom ordering exactly what I wanted. 8 weeks later, after waiting about as patiently as a 5 year old before Christmas, my new 2013 JKUR showed up. Now that would be great but I have a fantastic wife and what does a fantastic wife say when your new JKUR only has 50 miles? Hey doesn't that thing need an exhaust? Ummm....yeah it does! So she brought one home with her! The exhaust is the MagnaFlow Off Road Pro Series and it sounds awesome.

Last edited by BigSteve; 03-04-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

My wife also knows me well enough to know that I can't leave well enough alone. She suggested that I try to get sponsored for the vehicle. So I started banging on peoples email doors to see if I could get sponsored. Sure enough I had a few companies want to participate. My current list of sponsors are Rock Krawler Suspension, Black Rock Wheels, Toyo Tires, American Rebel MFG, Adams Driveshaft and Rebel Off Road. So starts stage one of my build up. When the boxes started showing up it felt so much better than Christmas! For stage one I am upgrading my vehicle with a Rock Krawler 3.5 Maz Travel System, 37x13.50x17 Toyo Open Country M/T, Black Rock Wheels Type D series 909S size 17x8, Front and rear diff covers from American Rebel MFG, front and rear driveshafts from Adams Driveshaft and having Rebel Off Road do the install for me. While I am there I figured I would also have an Atrec front axle armor kit installed.

Last edited by BigSteve; 03-04-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Wheels and tires all mounted up. I decided to try out bead balancing for this build. I have read and heard a lot of good things about it so I figured I would give it a try and see how it goes. Today the Jeep got dropped off with Bond and his team at Rebel Off Road Once on the lift Josh had parts coming off in no time And then it was time for the good stuff to go on. Rear end is pretty much finished
Old 03-04-2013, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a sweet build. Nice color choice too. So, you just asked around for sponsers and a few said yes? How does that work? Did you have to pay partially for parts or those that are sponsering give you parts for nothing? Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the end product.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Rear driveshaft installed Front end going together Artec front truss going on. That is all for today. I will update more tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome build thanks for posting up!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by T&ERun
Looks like a sweet build. Nice color choice too. So, you just asked around for sponsers and a few said yes? How does that work? Did you have to pay partially for parts or those that are sponsering give you parts for nothing? Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the end product.
Well it's not quite that simple. I compiled a list of companies that I wanted work with and started sending emails to them. Most said they were not interested, I can't tell you the number of no thanks responses I got. However, a few were willing to give me a shot based on the fact that I met the companies specific requirements they have for sponsorship. For example show attendance, company representation on the vehicle, etc. Some were willing to offer full sponsorship, but most gave a sizable discount on parts. Honestly, it has kind of snow balled into a second job but it is fun.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:19 AM
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

We are very happy to contribute to this build.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great! cant wait to see the finished product!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks like an awesome build congrats on the new ride

Quick Reply: BigSteve build thread