Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Big Jeep Upgrade

Old 07-27-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No1AP
Quick question. For some reason, I seem to remember people saying that the carrier for the 3.21 is a different size than that needed for the 5.13's. I have been known to be wrong before, however rare but I was just wondering. Was that only on a few certain years?
Nope, you are correct the carrier is different for those JKs (all year JKs I believe) equipped with 3.21s.

I placed an order for my Gears and Locker online with Northridge 4x4, and not 10 minutes later Dave calls me back to ask if I also needed a carrier. Now that's customer service

Apparently the carrier that Northridge sells allows you to run the TJ model Aussie lockers, so I had him add the front carrier for $75 dollars, but the TJ locker was $50 cheaper! So everything said and done I paid $25 for a carrier. I didn't mean to get sidetracked, but the answer to your question is yes you need one, and they can be acquired for cheap.

Last edited by u-joint; 07-27-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-27-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Junkie

I had one last minute additional "upgrade" to my Jeep this morning... the rear driver's side blinker/brake light went out

But to cheer up the mood, my Aussie locker and 5.13 gears arrived today

One more dull evening, and then they'll be action shots of the lift kit install, I promise
Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Does the AEV procal do things that the Superchips tuner doesn't? Your jeep is going to be great!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Does the AEV procal do things that the Superchips tuner doesn't?
I'm not sure what it does that Superchips' doesn't (except cost less ). What I do know is that the Superchips one is also a tuner, the ProCal isn't. One thing the ProCal does that I've never heard of before is what AEV calls the "steering wheel centering mode". It sounds like an even easier way to center the steering wheel, especially if your going it solo.

I don't really have too much of a desire to change my engine characteristics, plus the additional price of the Superchips one just wasn't flying with my budget. I mainly was looking for a easy way to get my speedometer back in line, and the ProCal will do that for me.

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Your jeep is going to be great!
Thanks I am REALLY excited about this... my wife thinks I'm nuts
Old 07-31-2010, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

Oh my

The past two days were rough! Installing the lift was more time consuming than I imagined, and because of that I really didn't have the time to take pictures of the install process. I worked on installing the lift Thursday night, probably spent 4 hours on it. And then Friday at 6pm I started again, and (kid you not) worked right through the night and finished up just after 5am.

I still need to align the front end, and I may need to rebalance the tires (strange low-speed front end vibration), but so far I am pleased with the lift and tires.

Here is some pictures of the transformation:

Last edited by u-joint; 07-31-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ECHO
Huge Difference!! Looks awesome man
Thanks!

When the tire shop drove it around front after installing the tires I had to take a double take, it looks completely different.

On a related note, it was the moment I drove off the tire shop's lot that I realized just how much I am looking forward to the re-gear. 3.21 and 35s don't play well together... lots of clutch action, and slow starts, thats for sure.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:36 PM
JK Junkie

It is done!

After a few set backs, and a good time with some friends, today marks the completion of my big Jeep upgrade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474..jpg
Views:	50
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	81951

I just picked the Jeep up from the shop today where it had 5.13 gears installed. I (with the help of a couple of friends) pre-loaded my new front carrier with an Aussie locker, and a local shop ended up picking up the work from there.

I haven't taken her off-road yet, but I plan to real soon

I can't wait to see how she handles off-road, especially with the Aussie up front.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks great!
Old 08-14-2010, 05:12 AM
JK Junkie

Wow your Jeep looks freaking AWESOME! There is a huge difference in the tire size and your other ride looks like a toy car next to the Jeep. Plus you said 3 years and 35000 miles? Thats some great mileage on your ride, i take it the Jeep isn't your daily commuter?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Kuffaar

Looks great!
Thanks

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
Wow your Jeep looks freaking AWESOME! There is a huge difference in the tire size and your other ride looks like a toy car next to the Jeep. Plus you said 3 years and 35000 miles? Thats some great mileage on your ride, i take it the Jeep isn't your daily commuter?
Thanks! I drove my wife's Santa Fe while my Jeep was in the shop, and yes it feels like a toy compared to the Jeep

I just hit 36,400 yesterday. The Jeep is my daily driver, but I have (until recently) lived very close to work. For about a year I lived within 2 miles of work. That alone cuts down on the miles. Plus, with my wife being unable to drive it (she's too short to fully depress the clutch) we tend to take her vehicle on family trips.

Quick Reply: Big Jeep Upgrade