Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Bestop Trektop Installed!!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is with the header corners?

I am spoiled. I bought a hardtop, then found a brand new factory softop for $250. Put it on and I am blown away. After wrestling with my old TJ softop for years the factory is friggin unbelievable. THEN I found a Trektop on C-list for,, $250. So of course I bought it and it looks awesome but I feel like I am back to that old TJ. I have duct taped the whole header seam, no improvement. I have about 3/4 inch of a gap over the front top edge of both passenger and driver doors and that little pointy flap in the front. What the hell is that? Yeah the j channel sucks but I can fix that. No issue with flapping just the friggin front corners. Ideas anyone? Should I just bend the frame till it meets the door top? Has anyone quieted the header down for real? Damn it looks good though
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiny Jeep.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	32681  
Old 07-14-2010, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

got mine today..ill let you know
Old 07-14-2010, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had mine for over a year and no issues.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

I am one of the "suckers" that bought one of the 1st few to hit the market... Sure it looks good...always have been a fan of the fastback look. The wind noise is horrible, the sagging and flapping bites, and the velcro closure is pathetic. Overall, it looks like a hand-me-down from the JK's bigger brother. The fit and finish is not what I would expect from such a major manufacturer.

I have heard that they have made some improvements in the later editions... okay... sucks for the rest of us... I haven't been overly impressed with the Element Doors either. I've tried several times to adjust out the rattle. NO joy... Took it to a mechanic buddy who said there was nothing to do but live with it... Someone else posted that Bestop now manufacturers their product in mexico. That is an issue with regard to quality control...
Old 07-17-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Finally figured out the trick to these trektops!!! In order for them to fit properly around the rear door surrounds the tempt. as to be an average of at least 92 degrees. I really dont know if there is any truth to that but my top magically fits now, and my only explanation is the high temps we have been seeing for several weeks. We all know how temp sensitive the soft tops can be but this is ridiculous.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CruserBruiser
Finally figured out the trick to these trektops!!! In order for them to fit properly around the rear door surrounds the tempt. as to be an average of at least 92 degrees. I really dont know if there is any truth to that but my top magically fits now, and my only explanation is the high temps we have been seeing for several weeks. We all know how temp sensitive the soft tops can be but this is ridiculous.
mine was in the 90's today baking in the sun before i installed it..the hardest part to get on was the rear window..holy SHIT!
Old 07-17-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

i installed mine today..and i did start another thread in JK talk with questions i had..but what i experienced today:

Fabric was VERY hard to get to stretch..even in 90+ degree heat and high humidity..window was absolutely the hardest part to get on, and zippers still dont want to close.. a half inch or maybe an inch left unzipped...granted i did try putting that on close to dark after driving all day..

other than that though, it seems like a good fit..maine has been getting more heat and sunny days than we usually do so its been nice outside, and im excited to finally have another option..although im a bit disappointed that im hearing its tough to deal with rolling it back on after driving open air..i was looking forward to easier open air driving, and at this point it sounds like the freedom panels would be easier to deal with, and my hardtop has never leaked..but we'll see how it goes! im a little nervous though, and im hoping i can get those zippers closed before it rains
Old 07-18-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down Road Test

If you like to drive 50 mph on the back roads and stay off the highway, this top is for you. Otherwise, trade me your brand new factory top and surrounds and I will be happy to throw in a hundred bucks. I am looking to replace mine after two seasons of misery. Yes, I had the original that leaked at the main seam... returned and got the updated version that is too small to go over the rear window surround. Also, the Velcro will not hold at highway speed so don't plan any long summer trips with a chance of rain. I think Bestop dropped the ball on this one. Don't forget to pull the plug on your rear storage compartment if you get this top.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EATJEEP
If you like to drive 50 mph on the back roads and stay off the highway, this top is for you. Otherwise, trade me your brand new factory top and surrounds and I will be happy to throw in a hundred bucks. I am looking to replace mine after two seasons of misery. Yes, I had the original that leaked at the main seam... returned and got the updated version that is too small to go over the rear window surround. Also, the Velcro will not hold at highway speed so don't plan any long summer trips with a chance of rain. I think Bestop dropped the ball on this one. Don't forget to pull the plug on your rear storage compartment if you get this top.
I love the look of the Trek and the idea of it, but after seeing the experiences others had with it, on here, I went the Mopar 2010 soft top route. Not free, but very very happy with it.

May add the DirtyDog 2 piece and the Bestop duster to the mix, for summer.

I was kinda bummed out at first. I so wanted to like the Trek.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

i still have my hardtop if anything goes wrong..but after getting the rear window surrounds down, and letting it sit for a bit longer..it seems to fit much better. I never really go on the highway and I rarely go 50 on backroads, so it works fine for me..as for leaking in the back we're expecting thunderstorms this afternoon up here in maine so ill probably sit out there in the downpours and watch for leakage...i have it pretty tight and today i was driving 45 mph with the windows down and rear window IN and all of the velcro held perfectly, and wind noise was barely noticeable..its probably luck of the draw with these tops. I've heard horror stories and i've heard people love it. so far i love it, and not even 30 seconds after i pulled into work the other day, a JK'er got out of his jeep and came over to ask where i got the top..he seemed like a pretty big fan of how it looks, and was wondering what i thought..told him it was tough to get it on and all in place, but i think it'll be easier now that i know what to do. i also got a lot of compliments from other guys at work about it and i think i even have my stepfather considering getting one (hes always been a dodge hemi guy.) i think he wants a lifted JK, trektop, and hemi, which wouldn't be that bad of a rig overall though..im just going to wait and see how it goes with the trek..if it doesn't work out..back to the freedom top and panels..never had ANY issues with that top.

Quick Reply: Bestop Trektop Installed!!