Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Bestop Trektop Installed!!

Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a brand new trektop and am not crazy about it.

It went on fast. I did it by myself in an hour, and that was with my three year old bumping his head on my rear bumper twice!!!

What I like:
- Looks GREAT!
- Easy access

What I don't:
- Leaky windy corners, tried some stripping options and haven't resolved it yet
- Rear bar is riveted to canvas and is SUPER hard to stretch. I broke all 4 rivets the first day I had it and hat to replace those areas with bolts.
-Had a pull tab rip off the first time I jerked it
- Back window is off set on my jeep and has a hard time zipping

All and all it is just ok in my book. Unfortunately I am not sure there is anything better.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by overmanjh
How about just flipping the brackets so the jack is on the inner part of the sport bar? That should give you the clearance for the top.
OH YEA... I have that mount and a safari rack in the rear and the top fits fine.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have this mount with the trektop and I just switched the brackets around. I put the one for the drivers side on the passenger side so it sits and inch or so lower and clears the top. I'll try to get some pics tonight and post them.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

or maybe it was that my raingler nets got in the way of the jack. guess I shouldn't have put my hartop back on.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joneszj
bump for some answers...
If water coming through the door tops is what you are trying avoid I wouldn't recommend the trek top. If its raining and you open a door, no gutters = wet seat or wet leg and seat. Other wise with the doors shut, I haven't gotten water through there. It occasionally leaks a little at the seam going across the soundbar, but it's hardly an issue. The getting wet while climbing in and out in the rain thing sucks though.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

It's not perfect, but it could be if Bestop would do their job in R&D. I like my top (newer version) I have had it on all summer even though it comes loose on the rear window velcro at highway speeds. If you start your jeep up and let the fan run and close the door the water runs off as the top lifts from pressure. PITA but it works. Get a top prop or make one if you need to. I have an issue with the material slipping off the rear corner window surrounds on the back windows. At least they fixed the main seam above the speaker bar. I will probably call Bestop about these issues at the end of the fall season. They have taken care of me so far. Jeep on fellas.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really like the look of it. Wish I could afford a hard top that looks like that!!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blonda
We have this same issue... plan on taking a pic and sending to Bestop for them to fix yet another problem. We couldn't get it to work even in 105+ degree heat unfortunately. However yesterday, while putting the top back on after having it off for a couple weeks, I tried something different. I attached both rear passenger corners (the small corner pieces) first. Before the header or anything else was attched, and surprisingly it seemed to work. Have only driven it a short distance so far, but it's definitely secured better then it has ever been before. Will report back later to see if this is an adequate fix. Of course, we shouldn't have to do this in the first place -- I think they just simply stitched that area too narrow and left too much fabric in the middle to billow up while driving putting a lot of strain on the velcro.
Fed up with ours. This weekend it was in the high 60's and absolutely could not get the passenger corners hooked. In all honestly this is BS to have to deal with anyway...it's obvious they have it too narrow in the back. Calling them to see if I can get yet another warranty replacement. Also ripped the rivits off the tailgate bar (why would they put small headed rivits in plastic anyway on something that fits so tightly?)
Old 10-13-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EATJEEP
It's not perfect, but it could be if Bestop would do their job in R&D. I like my top (newer version) I have had it on all summer even though it comes loose on the rear window velcro at highway speeds. If you start your jeep up and let the fan run and close the door the water runs off as the top lifts from pressure. PITA but it works. Get a top prop or make one if you need to. I have an issue with the material slipping off the rear corner window surrounds on the back windows. At least they fixed the main seam above the speaker bar. I will probably call Bestop about these issues at the end of the fall season. They have taken care of me so far. Jeep on fellas.
Keep us posted as to what your results are when you call. The more people that complain about this fitment issue the better.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Does anyone know if the version with the j-hooks on rear window, tailgate bar, header with knobs, side gutters over the doors and the velcro strap around door surrounds is the latest? If they have changed the rear window design by removing j-hooks and reversed the direction of the zipping, will call Bestop for a replacement immediately.

Anyways, took the top off this weekend since it was beeeeheeuutiful here . A good break from all the rain forecast. Stored the top in the back across the roll cage platform and restrained it with seat belts since I didnt have any storage straps bought. Not looking forward to putting the top back on though, still find it hard .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	31688   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	31689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	97.2 KB