Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Bestop Trektop Installed!!

Old 07-31-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do the door surrounds come with it or are they something else you have to buy
They come with the top.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Comes with the header bar, door surrounds, and tailgate bar.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default Got mine and love it so far

I just got mine yesterday and put it on last evening. Overall I am impressed, it is a lot nicer than I expected. Did a lot of research and waited for the revised version, 1st time I bought from Quadratec but they were very knowlegdable of the known issues with the top and ensured me I would get the revised version. I do have a couple of questions maybe some of you could help with:

1) At the front header bar and door area, does the flap with the square piece of foam on it go over the factory rubber door seal or does it go behind it, directly under the end of the header panel?

2) I had to use the washers for the door rails on the bottom because the holes in the rollbar were too big, looks like the directions wanted them on the top under the screw head. Do you think it is ok to not have washers under the screw heads?

I am very happy with it, drove about 20 miles last evening, no flapping at all. Did get quite a bit of wind noise but plan to adjust the header once the top streches out in the sun today. Also maybe have that flap in the wrong place at the front corners. Any/all advice is apreciated.

I don't think I'll ever use my trail cover again, if anyone is interested, shoot me a pm. I can't post on the for sale area anymore since I don't have 50 posts, been on here for almost 2 years but guess that does't mater.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

this top is on my list for next spring for sure
Old 08-01-2009, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TCOH
I just got mine yesterday and put it on last evening. Overall I am impressed, it is a lot nicer than I expected. Did a lot of research and waited for the revised version, 1st time I bought from Quadratec but they were very knowlegdable of the known issues with the top and ensured me I would get the revised version. I do have a couple of questions maybe some of you could help with:

1) At the front header bar and door area, does the flap with the square piece of foam on it go over the factory rubber door seal or does it go behind it, directly under the end of the header panel?

2) I had to use the washers for the door rails on the bottom because the holes in the rollbar were too big, looks like the directions wanted them on the top under the screw head. Do you think it is ok to not have washers under the screw heads?

I am very happy with it, drove about 20 miles last evening, no flapping at all. Did get quite a bit of wind noise but plan to adjust the header once the top streches out in the sun today. Also maybe have that flap in the wrong place at the front corners. Any/all advice is apreciated.

I don't think I'll ever use my trail cover again, if anyone is interested, shoot me a pm. I can't post on the for sale area anymore since I don't have 50 posts, been on here for almost 2 years but guess that does't mater.
I have that flap on the outside. The foam gets compressed to help make a seal.

The bolt is supposed to go up from the bottom with the nut on top. Lock nut and lock washer on top.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by l2chil
I have had this top for 4 days now and I am really starting to like it. I did fix the wind noise that was coming from the front corners. A small piece of weather stripping solved that issue. After that I rolled it back uncovering the driver and passenger area. I am really liking this, perfect for summer.
I Drove to work this morning around 70 mph with no problems. I came home from work, closed the top. You have to loosen the back area in order to get the front to clamp down and seal. Its not that much of a problem. I then held the hose to it in order to check for leaks. No leaks
It looks great and so far it functions as advertised.
Kahuna, thanks for the rear window idea.
I thought all this talk needed some pictures.

This is very cool with the rear window rolled up . We have the "older" version of the trek top and have been waiting for warranty replacement for about 2+ months now. Last we heard it was 2 weeks out--two weeks ago . Anyway with the "old"version, if the tailgate bar is removed, the rear/back corners of the TrekTop come undone and flap in the wind. Are you finding this does not happen with the new version?
Old 08-01-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

I have only driven it with the rear window rolled up around town let's say around 40 mph tops, not on the freeway. Around town no issue, I did not think about it.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
This is very cool with the rear window rolled up . We have the "older" version of the trek top and have been waiting for warranty replacement for about 2+ months now. Last we heard it was 2 weeks out--two weeks ago . Anyway with the "old"version, if the tailgate bar is removed, the rear/back corners of the TrekTop come undone and flap in the wind. Are you finding this does not happen with the new version?
nice looking rig!! how do you keep the rear window rolled up like that? I usually just take mine right off?
edit: nevermind, I just read a little more and figured it out. I don't have the tailgate bar.

Last edited by Hoopa70; 08-01-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Finally got my warranty replacement Trektop. So far the new top has not leaked anywhere and we have had plenty of rain. The changes to the top are both positive and negative. The drip flap works well but sometimes gets shut in the door. The seam in the middle has been sewn differently and does not leak. Bestop stuck little pieces of foam on the front corners to help with wind noise and leaks. The leaks have stopped but the wind noise is still there.

Big problems with the new top. The rear window bar is an odd design. There are major gaps underneath the rear window. It won't leak but there are big gaps where the rubber seals do not match the tailgate. Water pools and the top sags when it rains. The old design did not pool water but now this one does very badly. The velcro used to attach the top to the rails do not hold the top down. After driving with the windows up the pressure that causes the top to raise starts to pull the velcro apart allowing the top to raise higher. The weight of the pooling water also pulls the velcro apart. I am trying to work on a fix for this and the pooling water. Bestop eliminated a couple of key plastic pieces that were sewn into the old top and helped keep the top attached and pulled tight. They also eliminated the tightening straps for the rear so I will try to reincorporate these pieces and hope it works with the velcro pulling apart and pooling water.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wvmtnbiker
Big problems with the new top. The rear window bar is an odd design. There are major gaps underneath the rear window. It won't leak but there are big gaps where the rubber seals do not match the tailgate. Water pools and the top sags when it rains. The old design did not pool water but now this one does very badly. The velcro used to attach the top to the rails do not hold the top down. After driving with the windows up the pressure that causes the top to raise starts to pull the velcro apart allowing the top to raise higher. The weight of the pooling water also pulls the velcro apart. I am trying to work on a fix for this and the pooling water. Bestop eliminated a couple of key plastic pieces that were sewn into the old top and helped keep the top attached and pulled tight. They also eliminated the tightening straps for the rear so I will try to reincorporate these pieces and hope it works with the velcro pulling apart and pooling water.
We got our warranty replacement last week and promptly drove it 1000 miles for a wheeling trip. We had the same problem with the velcro holding the top down, especially around the back windows. It seems that the edging where they have the "gutters" is a little too far in (or narrow) so it's very difficult to pull the top evenly tight over the roll bar, not allowing a good grip on the velcro on both sides around the rear windows. And there is too much fabric on the top between the seams, so with a window open it causes the top to buffet up (way more so than the previous version of the top) and it pulls the velcro loose.

With regard to the other "improvements" we are not impressed with the header and the foam. It actually seems to have more wind noise. In our previous top the noise was only consistent on the drivers side, now it comes from both sides. The tailgate bar changes, where the bottom window attaches up higher, we are very happy with. It really seems to solve the issue with the gap that allowed water in. It's a PITA to connect to the tailgate, but so was the other one. Hoping it will loosen up a little over time.

Quick Reply: Bestop Trektop Installed!!