Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Bestop Trektop Installed!!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
you can not use the factory soft top's door surrounds. you have to use the ones that come with it b/c it wraps around them and stuff and attaches to itself, and i don't think it fit to wrap around the stock surrounds..
thanks. saw on ebay where somebody is just selling the top without the bestop surrounds for $150.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

well it may be defective... i got my top and it was leaking so 4wd sent me out a new one (hasn't gotten here yet) and they never asked me to send them my old one back.... so be careful if u buy one used.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would think that, if you have the time and patience, you could step through each hold with some superglue and a toothpick to give them a bit of a permanent seal, then hit the whole seam once they are filled with that seam filler stuff mentioned earlier.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

nice decided to get one myself will post photos soon
Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

Default sunny sat

installed my trek top sat in the sun
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 004.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	23067   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 001.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	23068   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 002.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	23069   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 003.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	23070  

Last edited by jk joe; 04-26-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jk joe
installed my trek top sat in the sun
looks good, let us know if yours leaks at the main seam that runs across the center roll bar.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Our Trektop is on! Here's our first impressions...

Got ours on this weekend! Wasn't too difficult to install aside from a couple scraped knuckles and the rear window...we couldn't get the J-clips to stay on. Major PITA.

Love the way it looks! Here are a couple pics. First one with top rolled back (it was in the low 70's yesterday )

Last edited by sm_rubi; 04-27-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi

We used the tailgate bar which worked pretty good. No velcro needed on the bar, it just slides right in (the way the window hooks it it's too short (or long however you look at it) for the velcro to work anyway. The only thing I don't care for is that when the gate is shut, the weather stripping bends up on each end and leaves a nickle sized gap you could put your finger through. Don't think water could get in there unless it runs down and finds a way in...but you never know.

Took us a little while to figure out how to roll the top back. Figured out that you have to detach the windshield channel and just roll it up still connected to the top. Otherwise is just sags down in the middle. Also need to get the "roll" just right in order for the snaps to hit the right spot to attach the roll to the frame. The Bestop instructions show/claim you can roll it back all the way to the rollbar, but we couldn't find away to attach it if we went that far. Below are the pics of how far were were able to get it back while still being attached.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:20 PM
JK Jedi

More impressions:

When we tried putting the top back in place after having it rolled back, it was pretty difficult. It was very tight and impossible to put the windshield channel back in place without at least releasing the two tension straps in the back. That helped a lot but with two of us, it was still tough and we weren't able to get the windshield header as tight against the windshield as we were able to with the first installation when the top was not connected anywhere else. Not sure how anyone could do this by themselves without detaching everything.

So our first impressions are that the top looks really cool but as far as practicality with regard to rolling the top back on a whim....still undecided. As we never had the Sunrider top we have nothing to compare it too. It will definitely be nice to have a top and be able to take it off and stuff it in the back if needed, but we were really hoping for something easier than this to open up on a whim.

It looks like we may have to invest in a cover as we don't park the Jeep in the garage, so if we want to leave the top back for a few days, we can keep it covered in case of the marine layer/heavy mist we occasionally get in the early AM.

Oh and the rear window...I'm going to call Besttop about it. It absolutely would not lock on like it's supposed to in the instructions...it's as if one of the J channels were not a tight enough fit and it would not slide on without popping off once we got to the half way point. Took one of us on either side to get it on, and with that, it was still difficult. That pretty much makes the window useless IMO -- anyone else that that problem?

Last edited by sm_rubi; 04-27-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Super Freak

the back window's j-channel on the softtop part has a split in it at the center, you have to make sure you line up again at the center.

as for the top's header channel after you roll it back.... Besttop told me you have to undo the back windows to be able to pull the header on and latch it first, so every time you roll it back, you have to attach the header first, then the back windows...

have you gotten yours wet yet? so far most of the new 4-door tops have leaks at the main seam that goes across the center roll bar /speaker bar.

Quick Reply: Bestop Trektop Installed!!