Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Bestop Trektop Installed!!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoDave
I didn't have any problems installing the headliner. No gaps at all. I was getting some wind noise up there though so I bought a windshield air deflector by Wade. It pushes the wind up and over the front of the soft top. Big difference after I did that.

The only problem I have are the tensioning straps they sent me. You're supposed to take tensioning straps and hook one end to the lip near the tailgate, and take the other up and over the bow right at the top of the rear window. My tensioning straps were sewn backwards so there's no way to actually apply tension where you need it. I'm thinking of getting some motorcycle ratchet straps and just use them. They'd probably work better anyway.

Did anyone else have that problem with the tensioning straps?
I have a 2dr and got the 4dr straps. Bestop sent me out the 2dr straps for free. Maybe Bestop mixed up the packaging on a few orders.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb

I only have a hard top on my 06 TJ and the reason i haven't gotten a soft top yet is because of where i live and not wanting to mess w/ bows and frames and having to put much time in switching tops for summer/winter - rain/sun

anywho...

my only 2 questions are...

When changing the trek/hard and then hard/trek depending on the time of year...

What, besides the actual top material, needs to be removed to make the hard top fit back on...and then needs to be installed after the hard top is removed to make the trek work again.

and...

what options do i have for quick open air driving:

How quickly does the entire top come off/rolled all the way back and can it be stowed behind the rear seat?

The front can be rolled back and the rear can be rolled up right? I'm guessing that takes a couple minutes.

any help...THX!!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nilsen31
I only have a hard top on my 06 TJ and the reason i haven't gotten a soft top yet is because of where i live and not wanting to mess w/ bows and frames and having to put much time in switching tops for summer/winter - rain/sun

anywho...

my only 2 questions are...

When changing the trek/hard and then hard/trek depending on the time of year...

What, besides the actual top material, needs to be removed to make the hard top fit back on...and then needs to be installed after the hard top is removed to make the trek work again.

and...

what options do i have for quick open air driving:

How quickly does the entire top come off/rolled all the way back and can it be stowed behind the rear seat?

The front can be rolled back and the rear can be rolled up right? I'm guessing that takes a couple minutes.

any help...THX!!
I haven't rolled up anything yet b/c it's been raining since i put it on, but I did take the whole top off to re-seat the header channel, and it only took a few seconds to undo the cloth part all the way around. i'd say less then 2 minutes to take off, then you would just have to roll it up.

the metal door surrounds may take a little longer, b/c you have screws and nuts (4 screws with nuts and washers, and 2 screws with just washers). so maybe 10 to 15 minutes total to complety remove the soft top to put on the hard and vice-versa (sp?)..

-----------

another note after a day of having the top... mine leaks BAD at the seam right over the speaker bar, the seam has light coming through the holes where the threads are, so water just poured in mine and soaked the padding cover of the roll bar and the pass. front seat and the rear floor board... so to help fix that i stuffed some rolled up towels in between the top and the speaker bar and it helps keep the water from pooling up. i'm going to try and seal those seams this weekend when it's supposed to be sunny. so after adjusting the header properly, looks like no more leaks up front, just from the seam and a little from the doors now :(

Last edited by ThinkMud; 04-14-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
I haven't rolled up anything yet b/c it's been raining since i put it on, but I did take the whole top off to re-seat the header channel, and it only took a few seconds to undo the cloth part all the way around. i'd say less then 2 minutes to take off, then you would just have to roll it up.

the metal door surrounds may take a little longer, b/c you have screws and nuts (4 screws with nuts and washers, and 2 screws with just washers). so maybe 10 to 15 minutes total to complety remove the soft top to put on the hard and vice-versa (sp?)..

-----------

another note after a day of having the top... mine leaks BAD at the seam right over the speaker bar, the seam has light coming through the holes where the threads are, so water just poured in mine and soaked the padding cover of the roll bar and the pass. front seat and the rear floor board... so to help fix that i stuffed some rolled up towels in between the top and the speaker bar and it helps keep the water from pooling up. i'm going to try and seal those seams this weekend when it's supposed to be sunny. so after adjusting the header properly, looks like no more leaks up front, just from the seam and a little from the doors now :(

Did you call Best top about the holes in the seams? How do you plan to fix the seams? Would you suggest a bow to help prevent pooling like the Top Prop by Skid row?

Sorry for the 50 questions but since you have been exposed to rain with the Trek top and where I live it rains regulary.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jayrav
Did you call Best top about the holes in the seams? How do you plan to fix the seams? Would you suggest a bow to help prevent pooling like the Top Prop by Skid row?

Sorry for the 50 questions but since you have been exposed to rain with the Trek top and where I live it rains regulary.

Thanks!

yeah i'm gonna call Bestop, they were really helpful when i called them this morning, and they even offered to send me a new zipper slider part b/c i broke one, but I told them it was my fault and i found a zipper slider that works, so no worries. he said their warranty covers pretty much everything, so I'll ask them if it's something i can fix b/c i would hate to have to take the top off and send it back and wait forever again to get a new one. i would think a bow would help a lot, b/c there is nothing propping the top up to make the rain roll off, so it just puddles and then you open the door and rolls right inside. but you don't have much room in between the roll bar and the top, so not sure if the one you are talking about would work or not, i put a rolled up sweat shirt up there and it was way too much for it, looked funny.

i was thinking some hiking/camping store would proably have something that i could use to seal it up, like something made for tents or something?? the instructions even say to use some 3M sealent stuff to seal the seams... so maybe this is normal?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah i'm gonna call Bestop, they were really helpful when i called them this morning, and they even offered to send me a new zipper slider part b/c i broke one, but I told them it was my fault and i found a zipper slider that works, so no worries. he said their warranty covers pretty much everything, so I'll ask them if it's something i can fix b/c i would hate to have to take the top off and send it back and wait forever again to get a new one. i would think a bow would help a lot, b/c there is nothing propping the top up to make the rain roll off, so it just puddles and then you open the door and rolls right inside. but you don't have much room in between the roll bar and the top, so not sure if the one you are talking about would work or not, i put a rolled up sweat shirt up there and it was way too much for it, looked funny.

i was thinking some hiking/camping store would proably have something that i could use to seal it up, like something made for tents or something?? the instructions even say to use some 3M sealent stuff to seal the seams... so maybe this is normal?
Check it out. It looks like it should work. The second pic looks like they really sabotaged the soft top Found these pics on the Quadratec website.

Click image for larger version

Name:	topprop.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	22341

Click image for larger version

Name:	topprop2.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	22342
Old 04-14-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

You are absolutely correct. Even Wal-mart has the sealant in the camping section (zipper/seam sealant). Don't know how big the holes are, but the sealer is almost (or may even be) a type of silicone, so it does flex a little and you can just blob it on. I use this stuff a lot on my tents..even when they are brand new from the store. I prop the tent up in the backyard, inspect it, and apply the sealant as a preventive measure. Reapply every so often
Old 04-14-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sclan
You are absolutely correct. Even Wal-mart has the sealant in the camping section (zipper/seam sealant). Don't know how big the holes are, but the sealer is almost (or may even be) a type of silicone, so it does flex a little and you can just blob it on. I use this stuff a lot on my tents..even when they are brand new from the store. I prop the tent up in the backyard, inspect it, and apply the sealant as a preventive measure. Reapply every so often
That's good to know that wally-world has them! the holes aren't big, i'm talking like needle holes where they sewed the top together. I think it only leaked b/c the water pooled up there over night. i'll hit wally-world b4 this weekend and get some. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Tried Seam Sealer 3 from walmart, and it didn't work, I put 2 coats on the inside and one on the outside. Which actually turned white on the outside. I even let it dry inside my house for 2 days. helped it, but still leaked, and now the top is leaking from all 4 doors (at the top of each door), the header's A pillar, and still along the seam.

I contacted 4wd.com to let them know i'm having issues and to see what i can do. I don't think I even want to try another top if they suggest that, I can't see how a new one would seal up any better. the rubber door seals meeting the soft top material looks like no matter won't seal properly. you can't have a smooth flat surface make a water tight seal with something that is textured (at least i can't see how it would work).

So i'm going to push for a full refund, and be 100% done with Bestop.... this would make the 3rd top from them i've tried that leaks horrible. had one for a TJ, the safari/windjammer/duster for the JK, and now the Trektop... I'm done. all seam super cheap and the seams all seemed to fray and get loose too quick... it's sad b/c the trektop does look super cool, haha.... oh well
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Tried Seam Sealer 3 from walmart, and it didn't work, I put 2 coats on the inside and one on the outside. Which actually turned white on the outside. I even let it dry inside my house for 2 days. helped it, but still leaked, and now the top is leaking from all 4 doors (at the top of each door), the header's A pillar, and still along the seam.

I contacted 4wd.com to let them know i'm having issues and to see what i can do. I don't think I even want to try another top if they suggest that, I can't see how a new one would seal up any better. the rubber door seals meeting the soft top material looks like no matter won't seal properly. you can't have a smooth flat surface make a water tight seal with something that is textured (at least i can't see how it would work).

So i'm going to push for a full refund, and be 100% done with Bestop.... this would make the 3rd top from them i've tried that leaks horrible. had one for a TJ, the safari/windjammer/duster for the JK, and now the Trektop... I'm done. all seam super cheap and the seams all seemed to fray and get loose too quick... it's sad b/c the trektop does look super cool, haha.... oh well
Sorry to hear that You got me worried since I'm expecting mine soon. I hope that I have better luck. Maybe someone else can chime in with some other alternative so you can keep your Trektop

After I install mine I'll let you guys know how everything works out.

Wish me luck

Quick Reply: Bestop Trektop Installed!!