Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Best Muffler for a Hemi Swap?

Old 05-16-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Muffler for a Hemi Swap?

OK... my Jeep is under the knife once again... 5.7 Hemi, 545 trans. For the guys who have done the Hemi swaps, what is your muffler of choice and why? I want my Jeep to be quiet yet perform well.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

First thing, that is beyond AWESOME and congrats!

Since you are adding the Missing Two Cylinders and have the right exhaust pulses now, I would highly recommend checking out SLP to use either the LM1 or LM2 mufflers from any of the Mopar Performance Sedans.

I use the LM1 on my 2003 Mach 1 but, those are kind of loud (but rule!). My buddy has an 2004 Cobra and uses the LM2 which is quieter at idle mid but at full throttle sounds great.

Here is a vid to SLP with LM's on a 5.7 Charger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g09na...related&search
Old 05-16-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Contact Camp Crocker or the guys at Sreamin Lizards they know a thing or two when it comes to hemi's
Old 05-17-2009, 02:38 AM
JK Jedi

Talk to MRBP, I just asked them what they put on their new Hemi JK.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

I've got a 2dr with 5.7L hemi conversion by SLC. They did an awesome job on this thing and it runs like a dream. The only thing I'm not totally happy with is the muffler.

SLC relocates the muffler to be on the drivers side in front of the rear axle. This is great for ground clearance but doesn't allow for a very long muffler. The setup I have is a 2-in, 2-out configuration. It is a magnaflow clone and has a pretty aggressive sound. Sounds really good at idle and running up through the RPM range as well. If you like an aggressive sound, this is a fantastic setup.

After driving this for a couple of months now, the resonance in the cabin gets a bit annoying. I have a 6-speed with 3.21 gears and 35" tires - so cruising at 70 mph I'm turning 1750 rpm. With the hard top on at this rpm, the resonance bothers the hell out of me. My wife says it is much different sitting in the passenger seat, so I'm convinced this is just a resonance issue.

All of my buddies tell me to leave this exhaust system just like it is - they love it! I am considering getting some dynamat or similar material to try and put a sound insulation barrier between the muffler and the cabin somehow. Not real sure how to do that yet, but that's something I want to consider.

Sorry for the long story, but here is what I think you should consider:

- how aggressive of a sound do you want?
- if you have a 2dr model and relocate the muffler ahead of the rear axle, there is not alot of room to work with. this will greatly limit your muffler choices
- i think there is alot more room on a 4dr
- be aware of resonance inside the cabin.
- muffler sound is a personal choice. some like it loud, some don't
Old 05-17-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

The AEV premium kit comes with a very well thought-out exhaust systems. The muffler they provide is a Hushpower, and despite it's name, is pretty loud. I took it to an exhaust shop and there is not a lot of room (width) in front of the rear axle for anything very big, so he just added a glass pack right behind the muffler which extends almost to the rear axle (4-door). This toned the sound down about 30%, and is much more driveable, although still not quiet.

Everybody who hears it loves the sound, but that shouldn't be your deciding factor because they don't have to ride in the Jeep with you all the time.

Again, this is a tough topic because the sound of the exhaust is purely personal preference. I think it would be nice to have it sound almost as quiet as a stock GC or Commander, but it would probably hamper performance a bit (which isn't a big deal with the HEMI because it is so fricken great to drive!!!!)
Old 05-22-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

I replace my AEV hemi exhaust with one I made myself. It has 2 magnaflow mufflers, one you can see here and another in the AEV 'stock' location which is on the Jeep and connects right at the input end of this piece.
Much, much better!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calypson
I replace my AEV hemi exhaust with one I made myself. It has 2 magnaflow mufflers, one you can see here and another in the AEV 'stock' location which is on the Jeep and connects right at the input end of this piece.
Much, much better!

That looks great and is exactly what I had in mind to do with mine once AEV launches the RHD kit. Unfortunately I get the impression I might be waiting a while.... Is it nice and quiet now on small throttle openings and normal driving? I dont mind a deep growl at large throttle openings but I like the refinement of the standard JK exhaust.

Nick
Old 05-22-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nick p
That looks great and is exactly what I had in mind to do with mine once AEV launches the RHD kit. Unfortunately I get the impression I might be waiting a while.... Is it nice and quiet now on small throttle openings and normal driving? I dont mind a deep growl at large throttle openings but I like the refinement of the standard JK exhaust.

Nick
I went thru 4 mufflers (not including the original AEV) before I found the sound I wanted. I really wanted to avoid using one at the rear but I had no choice for my level of comfort...'cause I am 40
Very mild burble at idle, nice low tone at cruise and a growl at acceleration. Never embarrassing or obnoxious.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by calypson
Much, much better!

Excellent idea! I like it!

Quick Reply: Best Muffler for a Hemi Swap?