Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Benchmark Dual Battery Install

Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Benchmark Dual Battery Install

A lot of swearing and cursing of the creator during the install but after it was done everything fit really well.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet looking . How long did it take to put in.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd say about 3 hours after you subtract the time I spent looking for parts that were in the instructions but not in the kit I bought or the search for metric tools. Removing and re-installing the factory shock for no reason was also fun.

That's also not counting the time I spent mounting circuit breakers and routing power wires.

In the defense of the manufacturer the kit I had was shipped without instructions. I asked for them and he sent me what I assume was the original design. There are a couple pieces the appear to have been eliminated.

I am happy with the final outcome but anyone installing this kit should plan it all out including consideration of the age of your spark plugs. Once this kit is in getting the passenger plugs out means removing the batteries.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cold
Removing and re-installing the factory shock for no reason was also fun.

Sorry but - I've been there and done that so i know how you feel. Glad you got it all installed!

Did you order directly from benchmark? I'm suprise dof the lack of instructions etc.

Also is that a stage 3 kit? I always wondered if i could buy a stage 1 kit with the Stage 2 to Stage 3 Upgrade Module and save $100 bucks.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool

Originally Posted by dgnr8
Did you order directly from benchmark? I'm suprise dof the lack of instructions etc.

Also is that a stage 3 kit? I always wondered if i could buy a stage 1 kit with the Stage 2 to Stage 3 Upgrade Module and save $100 bucks.

Yes I got it directly from Benchmark. No its not a stage 3 kit. Its a stage 1 kit with a stage 2 to stage 3 upgrade!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukie jk
Dual deep cycle Optimas?
Yup.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

... looking for parts that were in the instructions but not in the kit I bought or the search for metric tools. Removing and re-installing the factory shock for no reason was also fun.

That's also not counting the time I spent mounting circuit breakers and routing power wires.

... There are a couple pieces the appear to have been eliminated.

I am happy with the final outcome but anyone installing this kit should plan it all out including consideration of the age of your spark plugs. Once this kit is in getting the passenger plugs out means removing the batteries.
I'm getting very close to ordering one of these kits. What parts should I not bother to look for? Why the problem with tools? I have a very well-equipped shop, but is there something peculiar I should have on hand? Could you please explain more about why you removed the shock and it wasn't necessary? And thanks for the spark plugs suggestion--I just crossed 80K miles on stock plugs, so I'll make that part of the install.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm getting very close to ordering one of these kits. What parts should I not bother to look for? Why the problem with tools? I have a very well-equipped shop, but is there something peculiar I should have on hand? Could you please explain more about why you removed the shock and it wasn't necessary? And thanks for the spark plugs suggestion--I just crossed 80K miles on stock plugs, so I'll make that part of the install.

The lack of tools was my own fault. The hardware that came with the kit had a mix of metric and imperial..... Time to put all my sockets back in their places. The most used tool was a 10mm socket.

The instructions say to use a shock tower brace (requires stock shock removal) and associated hardware but the kit has no brace or hardware. I thought I lost it in the sea of crumpled brown paper that the system was shipped with so I tore up the house. Once I gave up and thought I'd need to fabricate my own I realized that the mounting points on the battery tray weren't there. There was no way to attach the brace or any brace I made to the tray without modification. The tray is very stable and seems well secured but I am keeping an eye on it just to make sure it's really is right.

If you compare Echo's pic with mine you'll see a few differences in the kit. The bar across the top on mine lacks the "wings" and the solenoid is mounted in the middle.

My biggest complaint was the directions not matching. Before and during the install I kept thinking about everything thing that was attached to the battery tray and the heater hoses that run right next to it-over heating the battery or rubbing a hole.. But once it was all in place there was clearance and through the miracle of black zip ties everything is secured and almost looks like it belongs there. The final point of no return involved a saw and cutting the air box off of the oem battery tray. But it all comes together.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

my next venture is the dual battery ...I am running a winch, some lights and the ARB onboard air system....what the heck are you guys running with all those wires?????
Old 02-20-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ECHO
Mark - It is a straight forward install...
The lack of tools was my own fault. The hardware that came with the kit had a mix of metric and imperial....
Thanks, guys, very, very useful info!

Quick Reply: Benchmark Dual Battery Install