Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Belly Up

Old 06-23-2010, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Belly Up

Ok, I have been studying the frame work on the JK and believe I can do a belly up. But it will take some work and I will need my back up car up and running before I do this. Here are my thoughts and if you think I am missing something please chime in.

1. Lift the tub up high enough (about a foot), or remove the tub so that you have access to the cross members.

2. add a one inch motor mount to the engine... I checked measurements and I believe it would work without replacing the hood.

3. Cut and relocate all of the cross members upwards by 2 inches. Some fabrication will be required.

4. Build new skid plate and add additional mounting points. New skid will have a one inch drop at the center.

5. Add a 2 inch body lift

6. reinstall tub.

Now I know this is a lot more difficult than I stated as you have to worry about wiring and other components that go from the tub to the motor/accessories. If someone put a kit together, my guess its a weekend worth of work. If you have to fabricate, I am guessing about 4 days worth of work.

Thoughts?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:34 PM
JK Jedi

Why?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

The JK just doesn't have the same clearance as the YJ and TJ. You really have to lift it quite a bit to get the same clearance and then your CG goes up. If I can do a belly up and add 2" of clearance while not impacting my CG too badly, then I am better off.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Junkie

A friend of mine wants to experiment on my Jeep with doing a "tummy tuck" I am a little hesitant
Old 06-25-2010, 06:59 AM
JK Super Freak

My YJ with its a 5.5 inch lift and tummy tuck has 19 inches of clearance on 35" tires. My JK with about a 4 inch lift has about 14.5 inches of lift. I would have to go with a 6 inch lift and 40 inch tires to achieve the same clearance.

I would rather go with a 5 inch lift, 37" tires, and a 2" tummy tuck. That would yield me the same clearance and keep my CG a bit lower.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do if it came as a kit just like a lift does. still sounds like alot of work. I plan on just skidding the hell out of the bottom side with a mild lift. that will be all I ever need.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 AM
JK Junkie

Put a new Gen Right fuel tank in the back where the stock muffler goes and have some new skids built and you're there.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I have plenty of skid plates... still get hung up at times. It's the break over angle that kills me on the 4+. lol... I know its the ever ending question of... if I had an extra 2 inches and you will never be happy. That said, I don't plan on doing this any time soon... just wanting to get feedback. As for as labor, to me that is the fun part.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The extra wheelbase is equally responsible for the "highcentering" you are getting.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
I have plenty of skid plates... still get hung up at times. It's the break over angle that kills me on the 4+. lol... I know its the ever ending question of... if I had an extra 2 inches and you will never be happy. That said, I don't plan on doing this any time soon... just wanting to get feedback. As for as labor, to me that is the fun part.
you're runnin a 4dr. with a 2dr and lots of skid I'll be able slide over just about anything..............and I use that term loosely

Quick Reply: Belly Up