Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Bad Day...my wheel came off!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Day...my wheel came off!!!

Got up early this morning and went to the local shop where I get all of our work done to get the tires rotated and balanced. I got about a mile from the shop and the driver's side rear tire CAME OFF and passed me going down the road...the Jeep landed on either the brake rotor or shock mount and sparks were flying everywhere!! I had to put it in 4LO to get it up onto the curb and out of traffic. No-one was injured and no other cars were hit, so that's a good thing and something to be thankful for.

Inside of the wheel damaged by the brake rotor:

Needless to say, I was IRATE!! The shop sent two guys down to where I was to put the wheel back on (which had rolled a LONG way down the road BTW)...one of the guys was the one who screwed it up and he actually had the balls to ask me where the lug nuts were!! Believe me, he got an earful and he deserved it...he was an arrogant little prick.

As of now, the shop is going to check the shock mount, replace the brake rotor, replace the wheel, have a body shop re-attach or replace the fender, and re-align the rear bumper as it was shoved backwards a little bit. They provided us a rental car and we know the manager pretty well so I'm hoping they take care of it and make it right.

Can you think of anything else they need to check just to make sure?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude, that suuuucks.

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
Can you think of anything else they need to check just to make sure?
yes, the lugs before you leave.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a text-book perfect case for justifiable homicide!
Old 02-28-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Glad you or anybody else wasn't hurt. It's great the shop is taking care of you, as they should.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

OMG, glad everyone was ok. That could have ended badly. Check the rear sway bar, links, and axles IMO as well.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mikeyfl
dude, that suuuucks.

yes, the lugs before you leave.
LOL!!! damn, I walked right into that one!!
Old 02-28-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by PONCH
OMG, glad everyone was ok. That could have ended badly. Check the rear sway bar, links, and axles IMO as well.
Yup, check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg8U57k18YE
Old 02-28-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie

From the pic it looks like there are some fairly deep grooves in the wheel, right at the lip which could affect its integrity on the road. I would at the minimun, use this wheel as your spare. I may even want it replaced depending on how bad they are.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rob4607
you should make sure you manager friend unemployes the arrogant prick before he either get someone killed, or cost him more customers due to his rudness. oh and a free tranny/axle service, maybe a yellow top gel cell, something for the wife, I could keep going...lol

glad no one was hurt and no serious damage occurred but for reasons like this is why I do not follow the no customers in the service area, if your working on my vehicle im watching, I can't come in the shop then you better park it by the window or the door where I can watch or I go else where. some have bitched but all gave in, and most of the mechanics say that they are the exact same way!
He actually sent the guy for a drug test on the spot, and the guy blamed his "lack of attention" on the fact that his girlfriend kicked him out and he's living in his car....boo fu**in hoo is what I said...

I also tried to get a whole new set of wheels out of the deal, but he said that he could only replace what is damaged because it will be handled through the companies' insurance.

And I completely agree about watching while they work, and I normally do that myself...but my wife was hungry so we walked next door to get some breakfast.....could this be HER fault?? hmm, I don't think I'll go there...
Old 02-28-2009, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BaltChief
From the pic it looks like there are some fairly deep grooves in the wheel, right at the lip which could affect its integrity on the road. I would at the minimun, use this wheel as your spare. I may even want it replaced depending on how bad they are.
It's being replaced as well....thanks!

Quick Reply: Bad Day...my wheel came off!!!