Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

BackPack on the trail???

Old 11-21-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BackPack on the trail???

Who takes a backpack with them every time they hit the trail? Im talking, survival equip, knifes, food, fishing line etc...

If so, what kind of backpack is it and what do you put in there?

I asked the GF for a BackPack I can use for exploring when im out on the trails. Trying to decide what kind I need, and what I should be keeping with me..

Keep in mind, I have been thinking about prepping a sort of Bug Out Bag... But we will see.

Post pics if you got them!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definitely

I do every time. I have actually only broken the golden rule of off roading twice- I went on a solo run, it was on trails that a rental car could have driven on, but nevertheless I broke the rule (I did have Spot satellite tracker to reach out incase of trouble). Anyway, even on big group runs I have my pack. Bottom line, I'm prepared for the worst case scenario of having to walk out if need be.

I have a really large fanny pack with items to signal, purify water, start fires, provide medical aid, a reflective space blanket, a large knife, a surefire flashlight, about 50' of 550 cord and I always pack a gun.

Last edited by GCM 2; 11-21-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GCM 2
I do every time. I have actually only broken the golden rule of off roading twice- I went on a solo run, it was on trails that a rental car could have driven on, but nevertheless I broke the rule (I did have Spot satellite tracker to reach out incase of trouble). Anyway, even on big group runs I have my pack. Bottom line, I'm prepared for the worst case scenario of having to walk out if need be.
Its not always bad to wheel alone. I mean, I do once in a while, but nothing too crazy where I need a spotter. But I find a good piece of mind up there. Explore the woods a little bit and take some photos. And this is exactly why I want a bag with the stuff I need incase of emergency.

So far this is what I have planned.

1. A selection of knives.
2. fishing line and hook. few lures. Maybe even a small telescopic pole. Since I live in CO, fish almost everywhere.
3. fire starter.
4. tarp or some sort of shelter material.
3. dried food.
4. a pistol. planning on buying one within the next few months
Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Google search m4040, good info available...
Old 11-21-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by justbandit55
Its not always bad to wheel alone. I mean, I do once in a while, but nothing too crazy where I need a spotter. But I find a good piece of mind up there. Explore the woods a little bit and take some photos. And this is exactly why I want a bag with the stuff I need incase of emergency.

So far this is what I have planned.

1. A selection of knives.
2. fishing line and hook. few lures. Maybe even a small telescopic pole. Since I live in CO, fish almost everywhere.
3. fire starter.
4. tarp or some sort of shelter material.
3. dried food.
4. a pistol. planning on buying one within the next few months

I can't fault you for wanting some solitude! I can agree that when the trails are easy, it's not bad to be out alone if you are well prepared, have some training and know how to use your equipment prior to needing it for the real event. I actually think there are a few threads that may have died off, but we're all about bug out bags.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by justbandit55
Who takes a backpack with them every time they hit the trail? Im talking, survival equip, knifes, food, fishing line etc... If so, what kind of backpack is it and what do you put in there? I asked the GF for a BackPack I can use for exploring when im out on the trails. Trying to decide what kind I need, and what I should be keeping with me.. Keep in mind, I have been thinking about prepping a sort of Bug Out Bag... But we will see. Post pics if you got them!
We definitely take a bug out bag on every run...nothing too crazy, but myself and a co-driver can definitely live off of what we carry for about 2 weeks:

Old 11-22-2012, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cali, no offense but I think that is a horrible design. The size, shape, and zipper placement make it difficult to fully pack it, and if you do stuff it full, when you open the top zipper stuff spills out. I also don't like the fact that the outside pocket isn't bellowed. On a different note you can put your camelback in the elastic pouch next to your back and route the hose out the tan flaps on top, this will help keep weight distributed closer to you and be more comfortable.

As for the OP question of what people think makes a good pack...first get one with a padded waist belt, this will keep weight off your shoulders which will prevent you from getting worn out as fast. Second, I prefer a main pocket zipper that is along the outside seam so you can open it up and easily sort through stuff without dumping everything. Bellowed outside pockets for room and internal pockets for organizing are other things I look for. Inside pouch for camelback is also high priority.

This is the one I carried in Afghanistan last deployment:

Bug Out Bag | RUSH 72 Tactical Backpack | 5.11 Tactical

only downside is it's really tall so won't work for everyone. I'm 6' so not as much of a concern for me
Old 11-22-2012, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do too. Enough clothes, first aid, food, water for 2-3 days. Nothing too fancy, more of a "just in case" than a BOB.

I go out alone often and have equipped my Jeep for it - front and rear winches, all sorts of straps, Hi-Lift, etc, etc.. I have a 4-door, and can easy shelter in it (and have, though on purpose).

Needless to say I stick to not too crazy trails, have my cell phone/CB/HAM radios and am very careful not to hurt myself.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Cali, no offense but I think that is a horrible design. The size, shape, and zipper placement make it difficult to fully pack it, and if you do stuff it full, when you open the top zipper stuff spills out. I also don't like the fact that the outside pocket isn't bellowed.
WTF? Are you a Marine or a ladies purse designer? Anyway, the backpack was standard Marine issue in '06 and did just fine in Fallujah and Baghdad.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

5.11 Tactial, but really any bag will do if you pack it right with the right stuff depending on where you are going and the time of the year.

Some people take way to much and others need to pack a bit more to be on the safe side.

Quick Reply: BackPack on the trail???