Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Back Woods/ Middle of Nowhere "Rescue Me" Kit.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Woods/ Middle of Nowhere "Rescue Me" Kit.

Kind of by nature, we carry allot of back-up stuff in the JK for the back woods adventures.

Emergency British Army Single Person Tents, Spare MRE's, Tons of Recovery Gear, Trioxane, Esbit stoves, Rain Poncho's, Full Medical Kit, Fire Starters. Just "stuff" for contingencies.

Anyway, I came across and made up a really cheap "Kit" to signal for help if really stranded and no other communications.

For the East Coast, it may be over the top since with the exception of where we wheel in large Washington and Jefferson Forrest you are not horribly isolated.

But, I could see this being of value for the West Coast guys who wheel in Sierra Nevadas and High Deserts.

I found out the SOLAS (saving of life at Sea) equipment has a mandated 5 year shelf life before it must be replaced. The equipment while good for 20+ years, by law is to be discarded at 5 years. Meaning it is very cheap surplus.

This little kit was less than 20 bucks all said and done

The "tube" is a fully sealed waterproof Surplus 81MM Motar Round Container. Screw top, O-Ring, really nice and cost $5.00.

The "Can" is a $5.00 Solas Surplus 8,000 Cubic Foot Orange Smoke Signal Grenade. 4 minute burn time and massive amounts of Orange Smoke (designed to signal Aircraft from sea).

The long Rod is a $5.00 Solas Surplus Parachute Flare Rocket. Puts off a ton of red signal light, burns for 60 seconds and go to about 1,000 foot before the chute deploys and comes back down.

The Smaller Rods are $0.50 Solas hand signal flares. The put off a massive amount of light, burn for 60 seconds and you can start fires with them if need be.

Like I said, its somewhat over the top for the East Coast but, this might be of value for the West Coast guys who go way way back woods and more than one day of "walking out" of a vehicle failure.

I got a bunch of this stuff for cheap so made up kits like this for the Jeep and Boat.

I came across mine at a Gun Show but, a Marine Supply house should also be able to provide the surplus stuff!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget a good sidearm.

My off-duty rig (never leave home w/o it, on the trail or not) is a G36 in .45 ACP modified by a friend and local police officer who owns Bison Grip.

LINK

Better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it...

Last edited by opdsgt; 05-10-2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: link fixed
Old 05-10-2009, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

yeah... if your jeep breaks down in the middle of a desert, I am sure a gun would be extremely useful.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

A firearm is an excellent TOOL to have, as useful as a shovel. For the 'liberal', unimaginative, closed-minded jeepers out there (somewhereinla), lets outline just a few things that a firearm is good for as a part of a survival / 'rescue me' kit.

1. Hunting for food (try this with a pocket knife)
2. Self defense against other predatory animals (have fun with your shovel)
3. Signaling device for search parties (good luck yelling when out of flares)
4. Starting a fire

Should I continue or is the point crystal clear? I'm just sick and tired of the 'liberal', narrow-minded perspective of firearms as being nothing but child killers and murder weapons instead of excellent tools that every sane, law-abiding American should have should they so desire.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turbomeister
A firearm is an excellent TOOL to have, as useful as a shovel. For the 'liberal', unimaginative, closed-minded jeepers out there (somewhereinla), lets outline just a few things that a firearm is good for as a part of a survival / 'rescue me' kit.

4. Starting a fire

Should I continue or is the point crystal clear? I'm just sick and tired of the 'liberal', narrow-minded perspective of firearms as being nothing but child killers and murder weapons instead of excellent tools that every sane, law-abiding American should have should they so desire.
X2 - Amen to that!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4. Starting a fire

x2.

Not calling out somewhereinla, but I support that.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Junkie

Way to be prepared, and nice looking sidearm, you are 100% right, a gun is a great invaluable tool in the hands of a mature, responsible adult, that's why I have a few as well.

Luckily they never jumped out of the gun safe and hurt anyone
Old 05-10-2009, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4. Starting a fire

Well said, meister. I've been a LEO for 21 years; all the dirtheads, burglars, gang members, dopers and street thugs have guns irrespective of the law, so why shouldn't law abiding citizens be afforded the right to intelligently defend themselves?

Anyway, rnjstel, sorry - didn't mean to threadjack. Your Jeep looks amazingly well prepared for several days in the back country, but for all the reasons already articulated, you really should consider some sort of firearm. Useful tool indeed and it doesn't have to be a pistol, as even a Ruger 10/22 rifle would be a superb addition to your array of gear.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by opdsgt

Anyway, rnjstel, sorry - didn't mean to threadjack. Your Jeep looks amazingly well prepared for several days in the back country, but for all the reasons already articulated, you really should consider some sort of firearm. Useful tool indeed and it doesn't have to be a pistol, as even a Ruger 10/22 rifle would be a superb addition to your array of gear.
No worries on the Hijack!

I've more than got that end covered if need be!

(plus allot more)

In all seriousness though, since I am Mid-Atlantic based it's somewhat hit or miss whether or not I carry a firearm when we go into the back woods wheeling.

My homestate of PA is no issues, nor are the great states of Virgina, West Virgina, Tennessee, etc for the back-woods with weapon. However, I don't like to risk anything when traveling through the 30 miles of the Peoples Republic of Maryland enroute VA or WV. Going North to NJ or the Northeast forget it.

If anything when we camp in the back woods, I have a small Astra .22 Semi-Auto pistol that gets thrown in the gear.

That way I can use the CCI .22 ShotShell Ammo (snakes and stuff) or just regular .22 Magnum ammo.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Nice kit, rnjstel, and thanks for the suggestion for the SOLAS--I'll have to check into those!

A firearm is an excellent TOOL to have ... 3. Signaling device for search parties (good luck yelling when out of flares) ...
A whistle should be in every person's survival kit. Actually, the kit I carry in the Jeep is designed to be very small, and assumes that I'm already carrying the ten outdoor essentials (though there is some duplication). I developed this kit from my own experience in USAF (Vietnam, Desert Storm, Bosnia, three USAF survival training programs), as well as my own experience as an avid hiker and backpacker. It's designed more for the lightweight backpacker (therefore no weapon), but is well-suited to throwing under the front seat of my Jeep right next to my first-aid kit. I teach Boy Scouts (as Wilderness Survival Merit Badge Counselor) how to make these kits.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 05-10-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Back Woods/ Middle of Nowhere "Rescue Me" Kit.