Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Atlas transfer 4Speed Low and brakes

Old 05-10-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atlas transfer 4Speed Low and brakes

I learned something on Sunday that made me realize I should have read the manual first. Turns out the low gear on the 4speed is so low that your brakes won't/can't stop you when going downhill. Now some will ask why I had it in low/low. The reason was I was testing out how slow I could roll down hill without using the brakes.

Well, I came to a part of the trail that necessitated braking and guess what, the Atlas transfer case kept me going right over the edge and into a small ditch. Scared the crap out of me, but I did put it in neutral at the bottom of the ditch and discovered later that Atlas recommends a big brake kit or neutral to actually stop the vehicle.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Atlas transfer 4Speed Low and brakes

My stock Rubi 4:1 low overpowers my brakes. Have to two foot the brake pedal and sometimes the engine will stall, 85% of the time though low and 1st gear, even with my 35s and 4:10 gears, over powers my brakes, but it does slow it down enough to control it on steep declines.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dynatrac big brake kit works fine with my 4sp Atlas and 5.38 Rears. Its low. But it stops!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too quckly found that neutral was my friend in low-low. Then I threw in Off Road Outlaw's Alpha-1 brake kit. The Jeep still groans and moans when I hit the pedal, but it stays put now.

Quick Reply: Atlas transfer 4Speed Low and brakes