Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Atlas 4speed install questions

Old 12-08-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cable

I have the cable shifters
Old 12-09-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dmerk524
I have the cable shifters
Okay, I won't bore you with the electric stuff.
1. Have a good jack. It's tricky at best to try to balance it with just a floor jack.
2. Have a good buddy there to help you stab it.
3. Get the grommet that seals the cables where they run through the floor in place before stabbing the TC. It took me an entire tube of silicon while lying in some real awkward positions to get it sealed after the fact.
4. Use 3/8 tube for the breather. I tried the stock breather first and the Atlas ended up puking a lot. They also say to use the older CJ style breather check valve at the end. For what we pay that should come included. I've looked high and low and still haven't found one.
5. Get a lube pump like the one Amsoil sells to screw into the bottle. When you fill the case the second time, you fill it through the top hole of the sight tube. That pump makes life nice.
6. Check the torque on the output flange nuts. I believe it's 150 ft/lbs, but double check with Atlas. And then let me know. Mine came under torqued which caused the back plate on the front output shaft to leak. It was a pain and expensive to fix as I had to replace some of that Amsoil and had to buy some special Loctite sealant.
7. What skid are you going to run under it? I had Rock Hards, but the skid contacted one of the corners of the case. Plus you have to drop both engine and transfer case skid to do any work/maintenance on it. I finally went with the River Raider as it had enough clearance under it and the TC skid comes off without having to mess with anything else.
8. Pick up a stubby 3/8 ratchet. NAPA has them and they aren't too expensive. The top nuts holding the TC to the trans are much easier to deal with if you have a short wrench or ratchet.
9. Make sure the cable shifter for the planetary is perfectly adjusted before the install. You can do it with the case in, but it's so much easier if you do it first.
10. Drive it! My first 4wd experience was a day after the install in a driving snow storm. Now it's second nature, but it did take me a bit to get everything figured out. OTJ training with it in a snowstorm was a real trip.
11. Expect some noise. I get a growling noise at exactly 1500 RPM. I've been assured and reasured that this is perfectly okay by Atlas. It was a bit freaky at first.
12. Whatever else you do NEVER CHANGE THE PLANETARY SHIFTER WHILE IN GEAR! You'll tear shit up.
That's all I can think of right now. I'll post more if I think of anything else. Good luck. I hope your garage is warmer and drier than mine was. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seer1
Okay, I won't bore you with the electric stuff.
1. Have a good jack. It's tricky at best to try to balance it with just a floor jack.
2. Have a good buddy there to help you stab it.
3. Get the grommet that seals the cables where they run through the floor in place before stabbing the TC. It took me an entire tube of silicon while lying in some real awkward positions to get it sealed after the fact.
4. Use 3/8 tube for the breather. I tried the stock breather first and the Atlas ended up puking a lot. They also say to use the older CJ style breather check valve at the end. For what we pay that should come included. I've looked high and low and still haven't found one.
5. Get a lube pump like the one Amsoil sells to screw into the bottle. When you fill the case the second time, you fill it through the top hole of the sight tube. That pump makes life nice.
6. Check the torque on the output flange nuts. I believe it's 150 ft/lbs, but double check with Atlas. And then let me know. Mine came under torqued which caused the back plate on the front output shaft to leak. It was a pain and expensive to fix as I had to replace some of that Amsoil and had to buy some special Loctite sealant.
7. What skid are you going to run under it? I had Rock Hards, but the skid contacted one of the corners of the case. Plus you have to drop both engine and transfer case skid to do any work/maintenance on it. I finally went with the River Raider as it had enough clearance under it and the TC skid comes off without having to mess with anything else.
8. Pick up a stubby 3/8 ratchet. NAPA has them and they aren't too expensive. The top nuts holding the TC to the trans are much easier to deal with if you have a short wrench or ratchet.
9. Make sure the cable shifter for the planetary is perfectly adjusted before the install. You can do it with the case in, but it's so much easier if you do it first.
10. Drive it! My first 4wd experience was a day after the install in a driving snow storm. Now it's second nature, but it did take me a bit to get everything figured out. OTJ training with it in a snowstorm was a real trip.
11. Expect some noise. I get a growling noise at exactly 1500 RPM. I've been assured and reasured that this is perfectly okay by Atlas. It was a bit freaky at first.
12. Whatever else you do NEVER CHANGE THE PLANETARY SHIFTER WHILE IN GEAR! You'll tear shit up.
That's all I can think of right now. I'll post more if I think of anything else. Good luck. I hope your garage is warmer and drier than mine was. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate.
Thanks so much for the advice. I am looking forward to getting it in. I actually have the rockhard skids myself I am hoping I can space them down far enough to make it work. I am also doing a rear 60 at the same time so this should be fun. I will probably take you up on your offer and thank you again.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Whats the total cost? did you sell your stock Tcase? Im thinking of selling my stock rubi case and going with the atlas.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dmerk524
Thanks so much for the advice. I am looking forward to getting it in. I actually have the rockhard skids myself I am hoping I can space them down far enough to make it work. I am also doing a rear 60 at the same time so this should be fun. I will probably take you up on your offer and thank you again.
My Rock Hard skids were fine with the Atlas. They just did not work with the Full Traction lift so they are off now. I have a hemi, so that might make a differance. Also you can rotate the case if it does contact any skids.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got the four speed shipped with 1350 front and rear for 2900. I did the cable shifters however which are cheaper than the elctronic ones. I did 60s at the same time so I dont know if that factored into the deal. For me it was tough to decide to do the atlas but I am going to a hemi and want a stronger transfer case.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

/.

I have the same Noise around 1750 RPMs and I feel very unconfortable with it.
Is there any solution ?
Old 12-25-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Patxi12
[/B]

I have the same Noise around 1750 RPMs and I feel very unconfortable with it.
Is there any solution ?
No, because it's gear driven it's going to make noise. You might find some gear oil that might quiet it down. but not enough to make it go away.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
No, because it's gear driven it's going to make noise. You might find some gear oil that might quiet it down. but not enough to make it go away.
x2 Fugedaboudit. You'll never have to look at your tach again at lower speeds and eventually you'll know exactly how fast you're going when you hear that familiar growl. Now that I'm certain it's supposed to be there, I kinda like it.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have a Rubi, you're gonna want a Flashpaq so you can have the crawl settiing for offroading. That teamed up with the Atlas will put a tear of joy in your eye. Next, what gear ratio are you thinking of? I have a ton of info for you if you're doing the self install.
I'm am looking at the Atlas 4sp in 5.44:1 to install in an 07 Rubi. I blew the stock transfer case in Moab. After doing some research, I have questions on the following issues:
1. Has anyone identidfied a way to communicate 4lo (2.0:1,2.72:1,5.44:1) to the rubicon ECU in order to turn off Traction control and allow the use of lockers and E-disco.
2. I have seen installs of the planetary shifter under the drivers seat, but Atlas says that it can also be installed next to the console for better access. They say that a guy in Fresno installed it this way. Does anyone have further info on this install?
3. What does the Flashpaq crawl setting do in conjunction with the Atlas?

Last edited by KenB1010; 04-08-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Atlas 4speed install questions