Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Atlas 4speed install questions

Old 12-06-2009, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atlas 4speed install questions

i'm thinking about what i want to switch first, in terms of gearing.
i think i'm going to go with an atlas 4 speed T.c before re gearing my axles.
i was wondering what is needed in terms of install, so i can price it all out.
would i need anything other then the TC itself?
-adapters
-driveshafts
-brackets
ect.
thanks guys
Old 12-07-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bareass
i'm thinking about what i want to switch first, in terms of gearing.
i think i'm going to go with an atlas 4 speed T.c before re gearing my axles.
i was wondering what is needed in terms of install, so i can price it all out.
would i need anything other then the TC itself?
-adapters
-driveshafts
-brackets
ect.
thanks guys
Advanced adaptors will sell you everything you need. Other than that, there is nothing else you have to do.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry it's taken so long to reply. We've been hit with two feet of snow in 24 hours. Everyone in the neighborhood needed help with plowing or winching. I'm a little knackered right now. This storm has me so impressed with the Atlas. To be able to shift into low planetary (2:1) 4 wheel high gives the Jeep so much more driveability in the snow! I did not get stuck once and believe you me. I tried. I know I'd have had to be pulled out several times with the stock set up. Plus it gives the JK so much more torque, but still allows it to go 25-30 mph.

Now to your question: Are you planning on installing yourself?
And yes, right now think about replacing your driveshafts with standard u-joint setup. Will you go 1310 or 1350? Tom Wood talked me out of the 1350 and the smaller one with the amazing warranty has held up great. That means different flanges on the TC. If you don't have a Rubi, you're gonna want a Flashpaq so you can have the crawl settiing for offroading. That teamed up with the Atlas will put a tear of joy in your eye. Next, what gear ratio are you thinking of? I have a ton of info for you if you're doing the self install.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am installing one myself next week and would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 12-08-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by seer1
Sorry it's taken so long to reply. We've been hit with two feet of snow in 24 hours. Everyone in the neighborhood needed help with plowing or winching. I'm a little knackered right now. This storm has me so impressed with the Atlas. To be able to shift into low planetary (2:1) 4 wheel high gives the Jeep so much more driveability in the snow! I did not get stuck once and believe you me. I tried. I know I'd have had to be pulled out several times with the stock set up. Plus it gives the JK so much more torque, but still allows it to go 25-30 mph.

Now to your question: Are you planning on installing yourself?
And yes, right now think about replacing your driveshafts with standard u-joint setup. Will you go 1310 or 1350? Tom Wood talked me out of the 1350 and the smaller one with the amazing warranty has held up great. That means different flanges on the TC. If you don't have a Rubi, you're gonna want a Flashpaq so you can have the crawl settiing for offroading. That teamed up with the Atlas will put a tear of joy in your eye. Next, what gear ratio are you thinking of? I have a ton of info for you if you're doing the self install.
i already have 1350's. Do need to shorten or lengthen them? I seriously considering selling my rubicon t-case and upgrading.

So basically I need the t-case, and buy the shifter cables and levers?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
i already have 1350's. Do need to shorten or lengthen them? I seriously considering selling my rubicon t-case and upgrading.

Are you thinking of going to a Atlas 4sp?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

You have the front axle hubs. It would totally benefit you. I think it drives great in 2HI with the front hubs unlocked.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by JKDinker
Are you thinking of going to a Atlas 4sp?
or the 2 speed. i'm really not sure
Originally Posted by JKDinker
You have the front axle hubs. It would totally benefit you. I think it drives great in 2HI with the front hubs unlocked.
really how so?

its a very good upgrade to have, especially since the front shaft is bent pretty bad.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Piginajeep

They'll walk you through pretty thoroughly when you order, but there are some things you'll want to have figured out before you order.

First of course will be the ratio. That 10.4 doesn't make sense to me, but it may to you. I've had no experience with it so I can't really speak for certain.

The case is really close to the same dimensions as the stock so I'd bet your drivelines would be good.

Then do you want electric or cable shift for the high/low planetary. I got one of the first electric shifts and there were some major issues. I had to refab one of the brackets and I went through two of their switches before I put in a totally different switch setup. At the time I swore I'd always recommend to everyone else go with a cable instead of the electric setup, but now it works like a charm. If you go with the cable instead, it seems like the best setup is the third shifter barely sticking out from under the front of the driver's seat.

The major issue I still have is with the 4wd/ECU. They sold me a switch that you hook to the wires for the stock transfer case sensor/switch with two 33 ohm resistors soldered in. I've never got that to work right. I finally just wired it up to a toggle on my dash, but it still only registers 4wd high. The Crawl tuning with the Flashpaq fixes that, but still I'd like the ECU to know when I'm in 4 lo. Someone said they've finally figured that out, but I haven't heard what the fix is.

It's one hell of a mod overall. It kicked my ass for months starting from being a dumbass installing it in an unheated garage in December to all of the electrical stuff, but now it still amazes me on what it allows my Jeep to do.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dmerk524
I am installing one myself next week and would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks,

Dan
Are you going electric or cable shift for the planetary?

Quick Reply: Atlas 4speed install questions