Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Atlas 4 speed

Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I finally got out from underneath the JK and got the chance to trail the full working version of the Atlas 4 speed transfer case. Whooo Hooo! Loved it! There is still much I have to learn about about it, but these are my thoughts as of now:
The 10:1 ratio version would be a waste of money. I have the 2.77, 5.44 ratios and they are outstanding for the mountains.
The two stick gives a great deal of maneuverability on switchbacks. You're still in low, but only engaging one of the axles cuts the turning radius way down.
The low planetary (5.44 side) is awesome for any descent. I have an auto so throwing it into first gear makes it so I actually have to give it gas to go down most obstacles. It was only the near vertical and wet faces that required any braking. Second and D kept me going slow down the rest. For up and level, a quick shift into the hi planetary(2.77) and I was keeping up with the rest of the group.
I had some skid plate and transmission issues, not to mention there was still way too much snow in the high country to do much more than winch a lot so I cut the trip short to come home and fix things. I'll keep you updated as I gain more experience with it.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just out of curiousity how "awsome" are these things?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rubious
just out of curiousity how "awsome" are these things?
Pretty damn awesome! Seer1's experience pretty much mirrors mine. Off road I like it better than the Hemi and maybe even my lockers. I just wish I had more time to use it. If I ever get the time, I'll even put a poor mans cutting brake in. But time is someting I just don't have.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKDoc
The low range front wheel drive option is great for tight turns on slick muddy trails or maneuvering around trees.
X2! This pic was taken to show just how tight.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKDoc
[/IMG]
Those are some healthy poison ivy bushes pushing through your windows. Nice Jeep!
My wife asked if it was pioson Ivy, I said I don't know, but I wouldn't touch it. Notice how great the atlas looks in the pic. Even as dirty as it was, it still looks good.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:17 AM
JK Super Freak

So seer1, or anyone else who has the 4 speed, is it worth spending the extra for the ele. switch? its like what $450 extra? wont the lever work the same, just mod the center consol or make a bracket to mount it?
Old 07-05-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

I've got the 4sp and have the 3rd lever handle mounted under the seat. Works well. I love the fact that with front hubs you can run 2 high.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKDinker
I've got the 4sp and have the 3rd lever handle mounted under the seat. Works well.
Can we see a pic of this?
Old 07-06-2009, 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
Can we see a pic of this?
x2
Old 07-10-2009, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rcdude3
So seer1, or anyone else who has the 4 speed, is it worth spending the extra for the ele. switch? its like what $450 extra? wont the lever work the same, just mod the center consol or make a bracket to mount it?
I'd go with the lever personally if I were to do it all over again. Don't know if I'd put the lever under the seat, but places to put one inside the JK are at a premium. I think I may have been the first one to get the electric shifter as I did spend some time working with Atlas to get a couple of pieces figured out with them. I need to be more patient in putting new stuff in (went through the same thing with the Rock Hard skids.) It took a while, but performed flawlessly last time out. I've heard of one person with the lever having some problems, but I won't rule out operator error. I screwed up some stuff shifting at the wrong time. Going from high planetary to low, or vice vera is the most vulnerable point of these. If you try to shift the planetary while in D, you're going to screw something up.

I finally set up my shifter so it only shifts when the engine's off. You can't do that with a manual so each have their advantages.

Quick Reply: Atlas 4 speed