Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

anyone paint there dash?

Old 10-25-2009, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone paint there dash?

i want to paint my dash steel blue.

Show me your painted dashes and tell me how you did it.

Did you have to sand it down?
Old 10-25-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Super Freak

i have never painted a dash but i have painted the side pod on my diesel truck. i lightly sanded the surface and then primed it and painted it with a spray can for this aplication that matched the rest of the plastic. i don't know if it was a special paint or not it was sold to me specifically for that application though. it will scratch much easier than the dyed plastic that comes from the factory though.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Rustoleum makes paint for plastic. It works really well I painted light bezels on My front bumper a year ago and the paint still looks new.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the info is here https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/six-dollar-dash-upgrade-8294/

I did the tweeters, vents, and soundbar grills

In the link there are some jk's that have taken the dash apart and have painted the rings around the guages.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just want to paint the center console, several companies make a dash overlay that you easily paint any color outside of your JK to avoid any overspray or odors. I think one of them is metal so you could powdercoat it and bake it. The one from Mopar is expensive but the others are much cheaper.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

I'm happy with how mine turned out. The cluster is very simple to do. Go to the dealer and get yourself a small can of spray paint.
I used two for what I did. For the cluster start with the panel down under the steering coloum. Pull it off its not screwed on. Then just go with the flow and work your way up.
It's easy once you get started. When you get the cluster unpluged and out in your hands, gently pry the plastic clips to release the assembly.
No need to scuff this. Just spray, LET DRY and reassemble.

The center pieces are another story. They are much more involved. To start, gently pry off the Black top panel on top of the radio. It lifts off from the back. That will get you going. I had to let the cables go from behind the climate control to get it out far enough to get all the screws out. Once I got them out I did scuff them before painting. Its been approx 6 months now and holding up great. A good project on a warm afternoon when none of your off-road buddies can get out on the trails with you. All said and done I feel it was worth the effort. Take your time and have fun.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jklew98
I'm happy with how mine turned out. The cluster is very simple to do. Go to the dealer and get yourself a small can of spray paint.
I used two for what I did. For the cluster start with the panel down under the steering coloum. Pull it off its not screwed on. Then just go with the flow and work your way up.
It's easy once you get started. When you get the cluster unpluged and out in your hands, gently pry the plastic clips to release the assembly.
No need to scuff this. Just spray, LET DRY and reassemble.

The center pieces are another story. They are much more involved. To start, gently pry off the Black top panel on top of the radio. It lifts off from the back. That will get you going. I had to let the cables go from behind the climate control to get it out far enough to get all the screws out. Once I got them out I did scuff them before painting. Its been approx 6 months now and holding up great. A good project on a warm afternoon when none of your off-road buddies can get out on the trails with you. All said and done I feel it was worth the effort. Take your time and have fun.

Wow, great job !!! You should also do the steering wheel inserts...That would definitely complete the job...
Old 10-26-2009, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

It all depends on the look you're going for, if you want it to look smooth and shiny like the outside of the car you're going to have to do a lot of prep work with wet sanding and primering. If you're into something a little simpiler then just some adhesion promoter and some spraypaint will do wonders to bring the interior cabin a little more color.

On that thought I started this task yesterday and realized how much is involved iin taking off the dash, its not horrible but it will consume some time. I'm planning on going all the way from the top of the dash through the center console up to the arm rest. I only had time to do the armrests yesterday and they came out really good.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 10-26-2009, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jklew98

That looks sick!!!

Quick Reply: anyone paint there dash?