Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Anyone make their own contol arms?

Old 03-05-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The funny thing is is that 99% of people assume that manufacturers have performed FEA analysis', stress tests, heat shocks tests, etc, etc, etc. The sad fact is, is that most manufacturers rarely do more than 3 or 4 tests, yet we assume that they are the end all, be all.

If one is thoughtful about design and strength considerations, then they are on about the same footing as most aftermarket manufacturers. I have worked for companies that test like crazy, and ones that barely test at all, and the later is more the rule than the exception.

I am an engineer and I have worked in manufacturing environments for almost 20 years. Go build it and run it. Inspect it regularly and adjust accordingly. That's about how most of them do it anyway.

Of course I have insulted some respectable manufacturers, and I apologize, for those that are offended, I applaud your sense of duty to the customers. I wish there were more like you, to the others. I also understand completely. Testing and test equipment are expensive and time consuming. An engineer is NEVER satisfied with any given design and at some point it has to be released if business is ever to be made.

Last edited by RCJeeper; 03-05-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent...not just one...but two engineers Thanks guys.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
No I'm a 32 year old mechanic. better than a janitor, I think a just heard a toilet overflow, now go clean up my shit.
The line in my signature is to say be wary of any advice you receive over the internet. You don't know to whom you speak, they may be a keyboard commando.

If indeed you are a 32 year old mechanic with skills you would be doing, not asking. You would know there is no difference in making control arms for a JK than any other coil link supension.

Ok time for a Good times, good times

Last edited by JackMac4; 03-07-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

Okay, now that the drama is over...

Has anyone else made their own CAs?
Old 03-06-2010, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK Rocker
Okay, now that the drama is over...

Has anyone else made their own CAs?
x2. I just read this entire thread looking for CA pics.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well...just in case anyone was curious, the stock control arms are only .125" thick
Old 03-06-2010, 09:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by uofagrad05
Thanks Spinlock for clearing it up... I have had trouble when posting in other areas on the forum... they see where I live and assume that no one could possibly be smart and live in Alabama.
No problem Uofagrad05. Obviously there are many that don't know that Huntsville is literally the Mecca of rocket science which requires a lot of engineering and scientific talent.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Fuk-m do what ya'll want its your damn jeep!

Sometimes its better to keep your opinion to yourself.

Ger-er-done, do a good job, and be proud of it.

Moving on!

Lets see some pics!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

I had 6 pics to upload, but my projectjk is too full. Is there another good way to get pics into a post?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RCJeeper
I had 6 pics to upload, but my projectjk is too full. Is there another good way to get pics into a post?
www.photobucket.com sign up, only takes a couple minutes then upload your pics. Size them to about 75-100kb before you upload. Then photobucket will host your pics for you.

Quick Reply: Anyone make their own contol arms?