Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Anyone make their own contol arms?

Old 03-04-2010, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spinlock

Well for one, the track bar is the one piece of metal responsible for supporting the lion's share of lateral load on an axle. Lateral loads are the highest when turning at high speed, which coincidentally happens to be one of the most dangerous situations to have the suspension fail.

The drag link, driveshaft and other 4 links will hold up to some point if the track bar fails, but ...

In the case of the CAs the loads are distributed over 4 links and loads are the highest when you are braking or hitting bumps in a straight line.

The JK may depreciate, but our interest of staying in one piece should not.

It's just a matter of personal preference.
I could care less if I were to put them on my depreciating JK or a trail basher, I would expect the same quality regardless.
I'm interested to see what some have created out there that's all.
And I have nothing against any of the off the shelf products, heck I'm sporting some Teraflex LCA myself and can only praise the quality put into these products.
What peaked my interest I guess is an article I read were you could purchase the heim joints and components, and providing your a competent welder, you could fab your own.
I understand the concern some would have over Joe Schmoe fabbing up some of his own components and rocking down the freeway when something goes wrong and takes out the van with the family in it. But that's why we spread the educational word out so that those interested can make things right
Furthermore, I respect that some are a little trepid when it comes to doing their own work on stuff...I most certainly am not, I have yet to visit a mechanic for anything on my JK, and yet I have absolutely 100% no concerns over the quality of my work...yes, to each their own.
This is also why I posted this in the Xtreme slot as most here are more interested in hands on fabbing of their own components and such.

Last edited by BlackNorthernJK; 03-04-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spinlock

Well for one, the track bar is the one piece of metal responsible for supporting the lion's share of lateral load on an axle. Lateral loads are the highest when turning at high speed, which coincidentally happens to be one of the most dangerous situations to have the suspension fail.

The drag link, driveshaft and other 4 links will hold up to some point if the track bar fails, but ...

In the case of the CAs the loads are distributed over 4 links and loads are the highest when you are braking or hitting bumps in a straight line.

The JK may depreciate, but our interest of staying in one piece should not.

It's just a matter of personal preference.
Im not sure if you meant to say that my trackbar design was... let say "redneck" or not... but to clear up any concerns... I have a mech. engineering degree. I run stress test on many different items where I work. I also did a stress analysis on the design that I created. So I understand your concern about someone throwing parts together under their jeep... thats not the case here.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

ya...I just picked myself up a welder and feel like welding everything
I'm currently working on redoing a utility trailer so it can handle the abuse off road, part of my build will be an independent suspension utilizing my old JK LCA take offs...I'll take some pics.
I may look into fabbing my own control arms for the Jeep from here....we'll see.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
its used as soon as you drive it off the lot. I also hate inform you that it is worth alot less than that. just try to trade it in(I hope you're sitting down when they will give you XXXXX$'s for it.
So what are you like a 25 year old kid??

The point was to say the ones that make their own stuff for a buggy, truggy or what ever else start from scratch or a POS. I do it my own self.

The people that buy a new vechicle usually do not do this and those that do have enough money do not have to make there own. When you can have very well made items for just a little cash.

Give it 2-3 more years and there will be a lot of Jks in the state to be bought really cheap and lend theirselves to extreme modding.

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-05-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: competing forum mention
Old 03-05-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by toymaster

The point was to say the ones that make their own stuff for a buggy, truggy or what ever else start from scratch or a POS. I do it my own self.

The people that buy a new vechicle usually do not do this and those that do have enough money do not have to make there own. When you can have very well made items for just a little cash.

Give it 2-3 more years and there will be a lot of Jks in the state to be bought really cheap and lend theirselves to extreme modding.
I invite you to review the description of this forum.

Xtreme JK Tech
Bulletin board forum regarding technical information, questions and discussions about extreme builds and highly modified Jeep JK Wranglers. This would include subjects such as welding, metal fabrication or the building of custom fabricated components like suspension, roll cages and armor. Other related topics would include significant axle or drivetrain upgrades and engine swaps. Please note this is NOT a show and tell forum.

So anyone else fabricate or consider fabricating their own control arms for the JK yet?

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-05-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
I invite you to review the description of this forum.

Xtreme JK Tech
Bulletin board forum regarding technical information, questions and discussions about extreme builds and highly modified Jeep JK Wranglers. This would include subjects such as welding, metal fabrication or the building of custom fabricated components like suspension, roll cages and armor. Other related topics would include significant axle or drivetrain upgrades and engine swaps. Please note this is NOT a show and tell forum.

So anyone else fabricate or consider fabricating their own control arms for the JK yet?
U are exactly right. If you notice this is the least used section of the forum. Good luck on your search. There is a total of one thread like you seek.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...romise+offroad

Last edited by toymaster; 03-05-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by toymaster

Give it 2-3 more years and there will be a lot of Jks in the state to be bought really cheap and lend theirselves to extreme modding. Go over to the pirate website and you will see how it should be done in quite a few threads.
No I'm a 32 year old mechanic. better than a janitor, I think a just heard a toilet overflow, now go clean up my shit.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
I could care less if I were to put them on my depreciating JK or a trail basher, I would expect the same quality regardless.
I'm interested to see what some have created out there that's all.
And I have nothing against any of the off the shelf products, heck I'm sporting some Teraflex LCA myself and can only praise the quality put into these products.
What peaked my interest I guess is an article I read were you could purchase the heim joints and components, and providing your a competent welder, you could fab your own.
I understand the concern some would have over Joe Schmoe fabbing up some of his own components and rocking down the freeway when something goes wrong and takes out the van with the family in it. But that's why we spread the educational word out so that those interested can make things right
Furthermore, I respect that some are a little trepid when it comes to doing their own work on stuff...I most certainly am not, I have yet to visit a mechanic for anything on my JK, and yet I have absolutely 100% no concerns over the quality of my work...yes, to each their own.
This is also why I posted this in the Xtreme slot as most here are more interested in hands on fabbing of their own components and such.
My post was not intended as a personal attack in any way. You asked the question "Why not modify a new $30K vehicle in this way?" and I provided one possibility given that *most new* vehicles of that value are also used on the road. It's one thing to have a link fail while crawling on a big rock and its another for it to fail catastrophically at 60 MPH on a turn in a highway.

Originally Posted by uofagrad05
Im not sure if you meant to say that my trackbar design was... let say "redneck" or not... but to clear up any concerns... I have a mech. engineering degree. I run stress test on many different items where I work. I also did a stress analysis on the design that I created. So I understand your concern about someone throwing parts together under their jeep... thats not the case here.
I am glad to hear that you performed the stress analysis. That is not the case in most posts regarding fabricating parts.

Although I know my around a welder and a lathe in a life or death situation , I am not a professional in that field so I tend to think conservatively in that respect.

Either way, I am not trying to undermine anyone's creativity, some mods just defy common sense.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

I didn't take anything you said as an attack, not at all spinlock.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Spinlock for clearing it up... I have had trouble when posting in other areas on the forum... they see where I live and assume that no one could possibly be smart and live in Alabama.

Quick Reply: Anyone make their own contol arms?