Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Anyone ever hear of a glass rear window for a soft top?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever hear of a glass rear window for a soft top?

I Love my soft top but would also like the convenience of a real glass rear window to facilitate easier entry. I was curious to see if anyone has heard of a zip in frame to support the hardware for a glass rear window. I wonder how hard it would be to DIY fab this sort of thing. Any ideas?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had glass in my 68 convertable mustang and loved it. However I have never seen a jeep with glass and a softtop. I would think there would be issues with dropping the top down. It would not be as easy to store the glass like putting the soft windows in a cloverpatch.

Also any glass would need to be zippered in somehow, so speed and ease of use really would not change from the current soft window.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

What I was thinking is you would zip in the frame like the soft window but the glass would open like on a hard top from the frame. Storage would be no different than stowing a freedom panel, if not you just leave it at home and take the soft as a back up.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because of the design of the soft top there is a major issue here. A zip-in frame would have to be soft, yet have the structure to hold a solid window. Which basically means hardtop.

The only thing i would see being effective for you is something we use in our canvas shop every so often, and it's called polycarbonate. It is a bendable clear plastic, and it comes in a few thicknesses. You can sew through it very slowly and it is very sturdy.

The only issue with using this stuff is that there is a flap on the outside of the rear window so it doesn't leak in the rain. This flap would be your enemy in opening the back window.

I get what you're saying, but there is really no point in doing something like this because of the total inconvenience it would be. Hard windows in the soft top would give it a little more structure from flapping on the sides, but given the durability of the soft windows, you can roll them and store them away. The hard glass panels need much more caution during use. Also, they are more prone to actually cracking and breaking getting hit with branches and other things on the trail, winter use, hail, and criminals.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if you used a hard plexy glass to counteract the weight issue and you might be able to fuse a zipper to it some how. Just throwing it out there don't know if it is actually possible
Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Because of the design of the soft top there is a major issue here. A zip-in frame would have to be soft, yet have the structure to hold a solid window. Which basically means hardtop.

The only thing i would see being effective for you is something we use in our canvas shop every so often, and it's called polycarbonate. It is a bendable clear plastic, and it comes in a few thicknesses. You can sew through it very slowly and it is very sturdy.

The only issue with using this stuff is that there is a flap on the outside of the rear window so it doesn't leak in the rain. This flap would be your enemy in opening the back window.

I get what you're saying, but there is really no point in doing something like this because of the total inconvenience it would be. Hard windows in the soft top would give it a little more structure from flapping on the sides, but given the durability of the soft windows, you can roll them and store them away. The hard glass panels need much more caution during use. Also, they are more prone to actually cracking and breaking getting hit with branches and other things on the trail, winter use, hail, and criminals.
Just read it same kind of thing sorry need to read before I write!!!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

get some mothers plastic polish and wax on, wax off.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever hear of a glass rear window for a soft top?