Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Any way to beat the sales tax on a new vehicle with a trade or out of state purchase?

Old 07-13-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beat the Tax man by Stealing your vehicle.. You can enjoy it for awhile until you get caught ...... Death and taxes my friend Gauranteed...GOOD LUCK ..

Last edited by mrktwatchr; 07-13-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: additional
Old 07-13-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I don't live in the States but this is how I avoided the provincial sales tax in BC on a few vehicles. My folks lived in Alberta and you only pay 5% GST on vehicles vs 5% GST and 7% PST here in BC.

My method was I purchased the vehicle in Alberta and used my Folks address and phoned up my parents insurance adjustor to get insurance and at the dealership I got my plate and registration. But before I did that I would switch out my Driver's Licence to an Alberta DL to get it registered as an Alberta Vehicle.

I would run with Alberta plates for +90 days and after that I would take my Vehicle in for an out-of-province inspection for $125.00. I would have to go to the DMV get a BC drivers Licence before they would issue my BC plates. With this method I would not have to pay PST if my vehicle was in another province for more than 90 days. It saved me cash +$2K in my pocket. It can be a pain in the arse switching Driver's Licence and out-of-province inspection...but I loved the cash I saved on the taxes!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Thumper616
I hate the registration tax in Miss. It's always sucks after getting a new vehicle, you pay an arm and a leg to register it - every year. Much simpler in Florida, but our property taxes are higher. They get you one way or the other.
No doubt. I actually felt bad about having to pony up and pay the huge sales tax on my new, MS-bought Jeep when I went to the TN DMV. Then I remembered it would be worse if I had to do it every single year down in MS.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the more you get for your trade, the less tax you 'll pay.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

two ways I know of are

1. Move to a state with no sales tax.

2. Join the military get sent overseas and do one of their overseas purchase programs while in a non taxable area.

I'm sure none of that helps I just feel that the taxing is crazy. Especially if you think of a car(hypothetical) that was purchased and sold every two years for ten years. Those f##kers would have just about taxed the entire value of the vehicle. Some states are even worse than others. I lived in Maine a couple years ago and it was way more expensive than here in Florida.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:24 PM
JK Newbie

Have a NH address and NH license? Register it in NH
Old 07-13-2010, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default WY

In Wyoming, if the car you are trading in is worth MORE than the car you are buying, then you don't have to pay sales tax on the car you are buying. But I am guessing that's just a state by state thing....

Quick Reply: Any way to beat the sales tax on a new vehicle with a trade or out of state purchase?