Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Any one running a non-Chrysler engine?

Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tkob1060
How did you get it to pass CA emissions or didnt?
He didn't, it's not street legal. I'm almost positive he mentioned that in another thread. I'm guessing based on the straight to ridiculous build he's got at least one or two other options for a daily driver. lol
Old 04-21-2009, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HolyMolyRacing
I did it. No kit everything custom.

Easy to do, cut out everything, cry a little, go to bank and take a loan out....then LS2 with Magnacharger fits right in like it was made for it.

www.offroadevolution. See galary. looks like their web site isn't working right
also wayoflife posted some on Project-JK.

Works good and I have more hp than any other JK in the USA!
Does your ABS work still? Did you hook up AC? I'd rather do a SBC than a hemi in my JK.

What transmission are you running, and do you have any pics of your instrument cluster?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stuka
Its actually not very hard to get a V8 approved in a vehicle that didn't come with a V8 in CA. One of the keys is you need to have an engine thats of the same year, or newer. And it needs to have the emissions equipment that the engine would have had in whatever car it came from. Although there are ways around that as well. Once its all in, you have to go to a referee station and have it certified.
I thought i heard that the motor has to be the same year or newer and offered by that manufacturer in the same vehicle class. To be 50 state legal, and i thought NY and CA are the strictest
Old 04-21-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

I want to be different, I want to swap in a Ford FE. Build a nice stroker and drop it in. If I could find an insurance recovered stolen donor JK for cheap and a F100 for a donor, I could make it happen. Where I live, I could probably get away with it unspection wise.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Muddogg
I want to be different, I want to swap in a Ford FE. Build a nice stroker and drop it in. If I could find an insurance recovered stolen donor JK for cheap and a F100 for a donor, I could make it happen. Where I live, I could probably get away with it unspection wise.
But then you would have to convert it to fuel injection. I say find an EFI 460 from an early 90's F250 and slap that in. They weigh the same, but make much much more power. Plus there are a lot more mods out there for them. Or if you want a lighter weight engine, swap in a 5.0 and slap an SC on top of it.

Now if you really want to be different, put an AMC 401 into it. An engine known for power in FSJ's, and was used in Jeeps long before chrysler ever got ahold of Jeep.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

no abs, has Dynatrac 60's, with rear steering. Yes A/C. Transmission is a 4L80E with Atlas 4 speed.

This JK is not my daily driver, handles well on the street. But where is counts on the trail it moves thru the rocks real nice!

Four Wheel & SUV will have a feature on Straight to Ridiculous soon.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

sooo sick!
Old 04-22-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Duma3421
I thought i heard that the motor has to be the same year or newer and offered by that manufacturer in the same vehicle class. To be 50 state legal, and i thought NY and CA are the strictest
N.Y. dont care they didnt even pull a wheel off mine for inspection at the dealer this year!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Camp Crocker
The LS2 has a MUCH better torque curve than a hemi. The hemi is great for top end power, but the hemi design itself is also the reason for poor low end performance. Where as an LS2 has a very nice torque curve, and is generally a squared engine in most builds (equal HP and Torque). And it also has a far better aftermarket.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.ZAP
LS2s would be a much better swap than the Hemis in terms of performance, but the wiring, electronics, etc. would be a PITA!!!!!
Originally Posted by Camp Crocker

Quick Reply: Any one running a non-Chrysler engine?