Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Any 2 door JKs on 40s ?

Old 02-17-2015, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing trusses and you're not going to wheel....this thread doesn't make much sense to me.. You have guys that have built highly capable rigs on 40's giving you advice. You are throwing money at the ultimate mall crawler which is not only dangerous to you on road, but also to others .Clearly your plans for the jeep contradict what you are doing. Trusses aren't for looks they are for support and added beef to the axle. If you aren't going to wheel why waste money on them? I don't see the point in throwing all this money at a jeep that won't be driven when by the end of this project you could've built a highly capable rig on 37" tires.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

So, no one is crapping on your parade sorta speak. Folks are just explaining what you should do and the risk of not doing it. Trust me, I got a beating on my stuff, but I took the advise and it was all good.

That said, here are your issues...

running 40's will need re-gearing, clearances, and proper geometry. Not to mention, wheels and steering. So you will investing in those things with your D30. That said, your final solution will have different wheels (bolt pattern), different axles, new gears, different location of said axles, different location for track bar, drag link and possibly control arms. So basically, you are throwing away time and money by sticking with the D30. Folks here who have done this.... understand this and trying to tell you this.

So, you can waste your money trying to make it work, but in the end its all throw away.

Next, while you say, when it breaks you will replace, that means two things: no recoup of your initial investment and more importantly, when it breaks, where will your jeep be at that moment. Could be dangerous. Why add unnecessary risk.

In the end, its your time and money. But the prevailing advise is to get the right axles and proper suspension geometry the first time. Its hard work, takes planning, and good execution. Your call!

Last edited by 2climbbig; 02-17-2015 at 07:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-17-2015, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. Theres been tons of times ive done stupid shit and im glad people told me they were dumb. If i still didn't see why id ask so i can learn and understand. Ive been thru a decent amount of work and am still learning. If i did another id prolly change a good amount of things
Old 02-17-2015, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Freedom....

Hey man go for it!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
Agreed. Theres been tons of times ive done stupid shit and im glad people told me they were dumb. If i still didn't see why id ask so i can learn and understand. Ive been thru a decent amount of work and am still learning. If i did another id prolly change a good amount of things

Hey... are you saying I do stupid shit.

I resemble that remark!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:36 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 2climbbig

Hey... are you saying I do stupid shit.

I resemble that remark!!!!!!!!
Lol i was only referring to myself, but do believe anyone who says they went thru all that hassle many here have while learning and says they didn't do something stupid is lying...
Old 02-17-2015, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-82777864.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	597260

yaaaaay
Old 02-17-2015, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shj_jeep
Wow, everyone here search for any mistake to attack me hahaha Anyway its ok maybe cuz I forgot to mention this also that I am participating with it in custom cars show next month in 4x4 section and it may include a short parade part in the show 2nd thing is testing tire clearance/ brakes/ performance/ etc Again, To be in safe side "temporary" I see its Better not to continue sharing in this thread
In all seriousness, I was just asking why you were trussing the current axles if you were just going to replace them anyway. Wasn't trying to be a dick or call you out for a laugh.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

This thread is brought to you by Del Ray Customs.

Hah, couldn't help it.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Stubicon
This thing could benefit from some long arms. You will experience much less axle deflection and loss of wheelbase

Quick Reply: Any 2 door JKs on 40s ?