Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Any 2 door JKs on 40s ?

Old 02-02-2015, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts
Thumbs up

You won't need to worry about steering as the tires will hit the frame and you will only be able to go straight anyway.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shj_jeep
40x13.5x17
What tires are these? They look like Irok's, but they aren't. Also Iroks aren't available in that size.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe hes going d44 rear steer ringer?! Lol but i doubt it severely.....

Last edited by Maertz; 02-02-2015 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WoW why everyone is so discouraging in this forum

What ever it will require to do, you can suggest me from your experience and i can do it , Not a big deal !

Time and money are available to do this project

NEED for motivation and good advices !!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:16 AM
JK Jedi

What ever it will require to do, you can suggest me from your experience and i can do it , Not a big deal !

I personally wouldnt run 40s on less than a d60. I have seen some people run 40s on stock d44s that are built up fully, but there definition of beating on the jeep is drastically different than mine. That being said ive seen tons of jks here locally.blowing axles up on 35 and 37s. Hell just 2 weeks ago a guy spun his whole rear housing up on 37s. 40 is a big tire as mentioned and itd help to know why you feel you need them. That d30 is just stupid. Sand/desert usually equals throttle and woops and such wich are hell on axles. Budget also plays into this a ton. So far it sounds like youll have more in tires than reinforcement to handle them wich is sadly all to common.

Last edited by Maertz; 02-02-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WoW why everyone is so discouraging in this forum What ever it will require to do, you can suggest me from your experience and i can do it , Not a big deal ! Time and money are available to do this project NEED for motivation and good advices !!
You need a very wide front axle in order to be able to turn.

You need at least Dana 60s, like mentioned above. 14 Bolt, a 9, Sterling 10.25, or similar would also work.

You should consider a full float rear axle if your rig is heavy or if you have much more than stock power.

You need hydro assist steering.

You want 1350 driveshafts.

You want 5.13 or 5.38 gears.

You want a 4:1 transfer case.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You won't need to worry about steering as the tires will hit the frame and you will only be able to go straight anyway.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi

Id also stretch the rear at least a little. Stock 2dr wheelbase on 40s is to short for my liking. Sure you can get by but it will feel much more stable on road and especially off imo but that could just be my preference
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150202_091625.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	594940  

Last edited by Maertz; 02-02-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You were given good advise earlier in this thread but chose to ignore it. You can keep asking the same question over and over but its not going to change the recommendations of people that know what they are doing. Don't waste money on new wheels because when you make the move to tons you are going to be changing the bolt pattern. You are going to need a 3" bs + wheel spacers in order to maintain steering. You will need hydraulic assist to turn those big deflated tires. 40's on steep sand dunes like in your photo are going to be poor performers due to the combination of wheel diameter/weight/ gearing on the factory axles and lack of power even from the diesel.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505

I thought I said this, but looking back I see I left it out. My mistake. You could also price new axles out and try to sell the axles you have while they are still functional. (Just another option to consider)

As far as steering goes you'll probably want to look at a hydro assist steering. One of the guys running 40's will elaborate on this and I would heed their advice. I have not run 40's and have no first hand experience with them, only second hand.

If you're going to continue a d30/44 set up, I think your 17" wheels will need about 3.25" of back space. I don't know who makes such a wheel but if you dig around enough you should be able to find one.

Edit: what year is your jeep? Auto or manual trans?
I would highly suggest hydro. When i ran 40s my jeep struggled to turn while parking and ecentually wrecked my steering box.

Quick Reply: Any 2 door JKs on 40s ?