Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

The anticipation is killing me!!!

Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The anticipation is killing me!!!

So, I bought my '08 JKUR about two and a half years ago. I made myself the promise at the time that I wouldn't do any serious mods or additions to it until it was paid off. So, about six months ago, I finally paid it all off, but then I ran into a problem. I'm in the Army, and we were just about to step off to head to Afghanistan.

So, here I am, just about half way through my deployment now, and have just ordered what I think will be the last of what I need to build my JK into the rig I have always wanted. It is sitting parked in my pops' garage back home in Nevada, and I have been ordering stuff since I got here, shipping it all to his house. I can't wait to get home, install everything, and take my baby out on her maiden voyage through the rubicon.

I know that this is a show and tell thread; unfortunately, I can't show a whole lot right yet, but I will just throw a list down here of what I have ordered and will be installing upon arrival home!

AEV Dualsport SC 3.5"
Northridge Grade 8 Hardware Kit
5 - 35x12.5/70 Toyo Open Country M/T on stock Rubi wheels that I will be bedlining (w/ 1.5" Spidertrax spacers)
Bushwacker Flat Fenders
Ace Pro Series Rear Bumper w/ Tire carrier and Hi Lift mount (w/ Hi lift X-Treme Jack)
Ace Pro Series Front Bumper w/ Bull bar
Smittybilt 3/4" shackles (D-rings) all around
Engo EPF12000S Winch w/ synthetic line
A bunch of other small accessories

So, that is pretty much it. Anyone have any suggestions for other must need stuff that I haven't thought of? Also, random question here: I have the 6 spd manual trans with 4.10 gears. I have read a lot on here about re gearing, and actually found a guy who was selling 5.13 gears for a great price, so I picked them up. I have since realized that 5.13 may be too low a gear for a manual trans with the 35's. Anybody have that set up? This won't be a daily driver per se, but I would still like to be able to get around on the freeway without too many problems. Would the 5.13 work, or 4.88? Or should I just stick with 4.10?

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I cannot help with your question. Just wanted to say thank you for serving and I admire your patience. I look forward to seeing pictures of your rig it's done. Cheers!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your "just for me" list looks good, I too want to say, "Thanks for your service". So, check your six, keep your head on a swivel and godspeed.

Retired Air Force JTAC, 2005
Old 10-17-2013, 03:21 AM
JK Newbie

Be safe there in the sand! We're all waiting on your build pics. Thanks for all you do and Pass that on to your fellow troops. Military mom USAF & USMC. we have one there also.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!! :thumbup: I would just stick with ur factory 4.10s I'm running 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs on factory 4.10s just fine and my last jku I had 37s with factory 3.73s! (wanted gears for that but I totaled it) sell the 5s u don't need them. Other than that ur list looks good. Did u get self recovery equipment in that "random small accessories"?

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 10-17-2013, 05:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyboyX
... I have since realized that 5.13 may be too low a gear for a manual trans with the 35's. Anybody have that set up? This won't be a daily driver per se, but I would still like to be able to get around on the freeway without too many problems. Would the 5.13 work, or 4.88? Or should I just stick with 4.10? ...
I had 4.10s and went to 4.88s when I switched to 35s. Glad I did. It's still sluggish at times--going uphill, strong headwinds, etc, at Interstate speeds. Other than that, it's a very good combination. You'll run 3K RPMs at 70 MPH with the 4.88s and 35s. It's a little bit stronger pinion gear than the smaller 5.13s, which are generally recommended for the 3.8L with 35s and an auto tranny. You shouldn't have any trouble selling them, if that's what you decide to do.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlyboyX
So, I bought my '08 JKUR about two and a half years ago. I made myself the promise at the time that I wouldn't do any serious mods or additions to it until it was paid off. So, about six months ago, I finally paid it all off, but then I ran into a problem. I'm in the Army, and we were just about to step off to head to Afghanistan. So, here I am, just about half way through my deployment now, and have just ordered what I think will be the last of what I need to build my JK into the rig I have always wanted. It is sitting parked in my pops' garage back home in Nevada, and I have been ordering stuff since I got here, shipping it all to his house. I can't wait to get home, install everything, and take my baby out on her maiden voyage through the rubicon. I know that this is a show and tell thread; unfortunately, I can't show a whole lot right yet, but I will just throw a list down here of what I have ordered and will be installing upon arrival home! AEV Dualsport SC 3.5" Northridge Grade 8 Hardware Kit 5 - 35x12.5/70 Toyo Open Country M/T on stock Rubi wheels that I will be bedlining (w/ 1.5" Spidertrax spacers) Bushwacker Flat Fenders Ace Pro Series Rear Bumper w/ Tire carrier and Hi Lift mount (w/ Hi lift X-Treme Jack) Ace Pro Series Front Bumper w/ Bull bar Smittybilt 3/4" shackles (D-rings) all around Engo EPF12000S Winch w/ synthetic line A bunch of other small accessories So, that is pretty much it. Anyone have any suggestions for other must need stuff that I haven't thought of? Also, random question here: I have the 6 spd manual trans with 4.10 gears. I have read a lot on here about re gearing, and actually found a guy who was selling 5.13 gears for a great price, so I picked them up. I have since realized that 5.13 may be too low a gear for a manual trans with the 35's. Anybody have that set up? This won't be a daily driver per se, but I would still like to be able to get around on the freeway without too many problems. Would the 5.13 work, or 4.88? Or should I just stick with 4.10? Thanks!
Hey brother, from a coastie to a soldier, I just want to say thank you for your service overseas. I get deployed 6 months out of the year on a ship, so I know that deployments can be a drag, but hang in there, stay positive, stay strong and be safe. Good luck on your build when your home, post pics before and after. Once again thank you for your hard work and keeping us all safe here on the home front, take care brother.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
...Did u get self recovery equipment in that "random small accessories"?

Sent from my obama monitoring device
As far as self recovery, I got a 10' ARB tree saver, Smittybilt snatch block, and I have a huge shackle/D-ring off a Humvee. I have my own "pioneer" kit with shovel and pulaski. Anything else you suggest I would need? I also have a tow rope, but with the winch, I don't think that will be necessary, at least not for recovery purposes.

Originally Posted by offthewallsurfer
Hey brother, from a coastie to a soldier, I just want to say thank you for your service overseas. I get deployed 6 months out of the year on a ship, so I know that deployments can be a drag, but hang in there, stay positive, stay strong and be safe. Good luck on your build when your home, post pics before and after. Once again thank you for your hard work and keeping us all safe here on the home front, take care brother.
Yeah, I know what you are saying about deployments, but I really can't complain too much. After spending 8 years pounding around in the sand as a cav scout, I am now flying helicopters. I absolutely love my job. It could definitely be worse.

Thanks to everyone for the support and the good wishes. You guys are great. I can't wait to get home, and maybe I'll end up meeting up with some of you at one of these jamborees or something that I read so much about!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

So just got home, and the garage is packed with boxes!! I am starting, slowly but surely. Here are my first two mods. Ace Pro Series Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, complete with mounted 35x12.5 Toyo Open Country M/T on stock rubi wheels (soon to be redlined) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2379.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	536392 Bedlined grill Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2380.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	536393 I'll keep updating as the mods continue!

Last edited by FlyboyX; 03-10-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

Ok.... so does anyone know why my photos are upside down? They are oriented correctly when I open them in my viewer on my computer, but upside down when I upload them onto the forum. Ideas?

Quick Reply: The anticipation is killing me!!!